Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #1 
Lumina

Betta with underscale lump.

:(

Oro is a betta plakat that I bought from Aquabid back in August.

He lives in a Fluval Edge, 6 gallon tank. It has a 3 stage filter. I do water changes of about 20% every week. The water sits for a day and I add water conditioner. It is a planted tank, mostly a couple of varieties of crypts, which are doing pretty well. I've replaced the stock bulbs with extra bright LEDs. His only roommates are a trio of amano shrimp, who do cleaning duty. Water temp is kept at 79 degrees steady.

When I got him, he had one scale that was kind of dull colored. Over time, it turned into a sort of lump scale. Not raised, like when they get that pineconing disease, just a sort of bump. It gradually got bigger, very slowly, over the months. Now it looks like this:

He photographs badly, and the tank has dark areas... when he is directly under the light his scales are a kind of gold color, with rosy sort of fins.

He is the shyest betta fish I have ever had. At first I thought he was just stressed due to the shipping, but he has pretty much never gotten better. He spends most of his time in the far back corner, hiding beneath the plants there. In the morning he comes out and looks angry, waiting for food, but after he's fed, he mostly goes back under the plant.

I don't know what to do, and I feel sad, because bettas are supposed to be lively and fighty and happy. :(

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Lumina; 04-18-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Lumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #2 
Twilight Storm

There is a sticky at the top of this forum called "Please answer as many of these questions when seeking help." Copy paste that into your thread here and fill in what you can.

It will give the experts a lot of basic information and speed things up so you can help Oro faster.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #3 
Lumina

I covered most of the info in the sticky, but I guess that the specific formatting does make it easier to read. Sorry!

Housing

What size is your tank? 6Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes. 3 stage filter.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no.
Is your tank heated? yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 amano shrimp.
Food What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HBH betta bites. occassionally nutrafin dried bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: -
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 7.8-8.0
Hardness: ~150
KH: 180
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed?

When I got him, he had one scale that was kind of dull colored. Over time, it turned into a sort of lump scale. Not raised, like when they get that pineconing disease, just a sort of bump. It gradually got bigger, very slowly, over the months.

When I went away for two weeks, and came back, it had turned into this sort of burst-looking black lump.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
he is shy and swims around very little. but he has always sort of been this way.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
gradually, over the entire time i have had him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
otherwise healthy aside from this.
How old is your fish (approximately)? a little over 1 year.
Lumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

It looks like a tumor or a cyst.. This happens at times. I dont know how to treat, or if you even can.

However, I can tell you you're going to want to up those changes a bit. He also appears to have pretty decent fin rot, which should be treated with 1tsp/gallon of aquarium salt each day with a large water change and a redose for 7-10days.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #5 
vaygirl

I had a boy with a tumor like that. There's not much to be done for it. He may be fine and not effected by it. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of it. I agree, more water changes will help his comfort level.

My boy had to be euthanized when his burst after about a year.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #6 
vaygirl

Here's a pic of Whiskey with his tumor. He also had some pretty aggressive fin rot even though I kept his water clean. I think his immunity was terrible. This was about a month before I put him to sleep.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote