Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #1 
thatgirl

I hate ghost shrimp!!

I'm never getting another ghost shrimp. I looked at my tank and one was eating my betta's tail... he was swimming around and with the shrimp attached. I'm so mad! I'm giving the ones I have to a friend with a bigger tank and goldfish. Ugh.
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #2 
Burd

Aww... poor guy. I guess it depends on the betta AND ghost shrimps personality. All 6 of mine get along with my betta and danios just swimmingly. :/
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #3 
BlueHaven

O_o
I didn't know ghost shrimp would do that, are you sure it's not a poser ghost shrimp? haha

I'm sorry.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

I had a ghost shrimp do that to my one fish as well...of course it died a few days later..the shrimp..I only have 1 left in my tank..but he is a peaceful guy.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #5 
trono

I made a thead about the same thing a while back.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #6 
Byte

Okay so I literally 5 minutes ago dumped 2 little Ghost Shrimp into my tank with my Betta. I should have seen this coming regarding the reaction to the Golden Mystery Snail (they're friends now!) But he started chasing the largest around the tank. The other was smart and quietly sat there on the floor of the tank. At one point I thought the one being chased was dead as I found him on top of some Duckweed, after shimmying him back into the water with a little jolt from him he sank back down to the bottom. They're still playing chase though whilst the other sits and watches

I set up a little hidey hole for them where my fish can't reach into but they've yet to discover it I suppose

I hope I don't ever find one clamping down on my fish's tail
Byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #7 
shinybetta

Those are not proper ghost shrimp. If any supposed ghost shrimp is attacking your fish, it is not a ghost shrimp, but a macrobrachium shrimp, which are much more aggressive. Most macrobrachium shrimp get large (sometimes over a foot) and have very long claws. They will kill anything, and some look very much like ghost shrimp when young. Can yo get any pictures? If they are macrobrachium they will kill your friends goldfish.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #8 
thatgirl

I've heard about those. He chased them around when I first got the shrimp then he got use to them. I noticed his fins were looking scraggly and I thought it was fin rot!
I dont have a picture clear enough of them. They had red dots on the ends of their tails and on one of their hands in the front (the main claw, I dont know what its called). Petsmart needs to let people know this stuff!!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #9 
thatgirl

I've heard about those. He chased them around when I first got the shrimp then he got use to them. I noticed his fins were looking scraggly and I thought it was fin rot!
I dont have a picture clear enough of them. They had red dots on the ends of their tails and on one of their hands in the front (the main claw, I dont know what its called). Petsmart needs to let people know this stuff!!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #10 
Byte

Well, phew. No red dots on mine and I didn't purchase from cruddy Petsmart. Everyone's settled now in my tank

I hope your fish is okay thatgirl
Byte is offline   Reply With Quote