Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #1 
fleetfish

Hawk in the Bush!

For the past few days and early mornings I've been hearing what sounded like an injured raccoon or small animal crying out in pain, but never thought it was a hawk. Well, I heard the same sounds a few minutes ago out in the front yard and decided once and for all to investigate. We have a huge juniper bush in our front yard and lots of birds and animals like to eat the berries and insects, so it wasn't surprising to see chickadees chirping away in the branches. Then a I heard a large rustling, and not ten feet away out hopped a BEAUTIFUL hawk from the underbrush. It looked at me for a few seconds and flared its wings threateningly, then soared off into the neigbour's yard. It was an incredible sight that took my breath away, I'll say!

I think it's a Cooper's Hawk. At first I thought it was a Peregrin Falcon, which I've seen around here often (it's always a treat!), and it was too big for a Merlin (which are annoyingly cute), and I've ruled out a few others. It had a slate grey back, a light belly, and a striped tail. And piercing yellow eyes which I will never forget.

fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #2 
vaygirl

It could have also been a sharp shinned hawk. They look almost identical. I think Coopers are bigger though. They eat small birds, so it makes sense he would hang there. Probably waiting for someone to make a fatal mistake. I love hawks! That's awesome! :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #3 
fleetfish

I looked at sharpies, but this one was BIG. I went back outside and found some down feathers with really neat patterns. I love birds too, especially raptors. It's a really great spot the hawk chose, lots of robins, starlings, chickadees .... Yep, he's got it made :D
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #4 
Cassandra90

We have a hawk that comes to our house every summer that sits in the trees and watches the sparrows feed off the feeder. But it is a sparrow hawk so it was hunting and eating the smaller birds in our yard.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #5 
BlueHaven

That's really cool!
:D
I've seen hawks out here, but not that close, farther away and they were searching for squirrels to eat.
There is an Owl around here that I hear everynow and then but I never see it, that would be neat.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #6 
vaygirl

I've read that if you imitate them, they'll come looking to see the invader owl in their territory. :D You should try it!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote