Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #1 
iheartmybettas

I need help with Hornet

To begin, my husband decided he would do my water changes on Thursday that I was going to do Wednesday night. I conceded, skipped doing it and let him do them the next day. Friday I come home and Hornet is breathing hard so I ask my husband some questions about his water change. Apparently he didnt add additional conditioner. I was mad to say the least. So I add stress coat. No improvement with Hornet.

I change his water Saturday hoping this will help. No!

Sunday I QT him in a 1/2 gallon, Epsom salt (he looked a liitle bloated), Prime, and IAL I had premixed. I changed the water yesterday with the premade mixture.

Today I get home and there is stringy whitish clear stuff hanging from where he poops and there is a bunch in the bottom of the QT. He is still huffing and puffing. The QT is floating in his divided 10 gallon which is heated to 80.

I haven't fed him since Saturday and doubt he would eat anyway. I thought he was developing dropsy but now I don't know. I have had him for 2 months. He came from Walmart in a icky cup. He is a very large VT and has always been active until Friday.

I don't know what to do anymore. He just seems to be getting worse. :(
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #2 
fishman12

That's too bad...I think more Epsom salt would help...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #3 
iheartmybettas

Thanks fishman. I will continue with the Epsom salt and hopefully he will turn around. I feel so bad for him. He has stress stripes. Poor guy!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #4 
iheartmybettas

So I went to change Hornets water tonight. I was inspecting him and now he has a large fleshy opening under one of his gills that goes a little under his stomach. I am pretty much broken hearted about the whole thing. I feel like I should euthanize him but he seems like he is trying so hard to fight whatever this is. I never thought I would feel emotional over a fish but I almost feel like crying and I don't ever cry. I switched to aquarium salt which may be bad but I figure it is worth a try. I'm not to hopeful though.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:15 AM   #5 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Oh that is so sad to hear

Please let us know how he fares with the salt. I am kinda concerned about the sore under his gill. Any pictures?

Hopefully someone else will pitch in!
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #6 
fleetfish

Just make him as comfy as you can. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Last edited by fleetfish; 04-14-2011 at 07:14 AM.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #7 
iheartmybettas

Thanks StarSpun and Fleetfish! I will try to get a pic tonight when I change his water. I don't want to move him anymore than I have to and it is hard to see with the indian almond leaf changing the color of the water plus through the 10 gallon glass and the the cup.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

The stringy poo sounds like parasites, though the leisions are odd :c Theyre around the gills? Is he scratching?

Add in 1-2 tsp/gallon of AQ and see what he does...If he starts rubbing like mad, he may have gill parasites or something internal.

:c Im sorry, hun.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #9 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
The stringy poo sounds like parasites, though the leisions are odd :c Theyre around the gills? Is he scratching?

Add in 1-2 tsp/gallon of AQ and see what he does...If he starts rubbing like mad, he may have gill parasites or something internal.

:c Im sorry, hun.
He isn't really moving much so I haven't seen him doing any scratching. He has just been lethargic which is what caused me to QT him in the first place. He pretty well sits in one spot in the cup, breathes and blows some bubbles. I feel like the bubbles are him telling me that he understand I am trying to help. That is what I tell myself anyway.

The fleshy wound almost looks like his skin split starting right under his right gill. I don't know. I feel like I am doing everything I can but the symptoms keep changing daily.

I started with Epsom salt 4 days ago but then when I saw the external leision I switched last night to AQ salt. I am hoping it is currently helping. I will find out tonight when I get home. :(

And thank you! :)
Old 04-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #10 
iheartmybettas

Hornet is still kicking but doesn't necessarily seem better or worse. Last night I changed his water. Day 2 with aquarium salt instead of epsom salt. I transferred him from the current cup into a new one with fresh premix which had been floating in the tank for about 30 minutes to heat up. I got the new cup floating with him in it and all of a sudden he was just laying at the bottom not breathing. I was like great I just killed him from moving him too much in the water change. But then he started breathing again and swimming around a little. I don't know. The leision on his side doesn't look any better or any worse so maybe the aquarium salt is helping. I tried to take a picture but it is impossible to see with the IAL discoloring the water. I have a hard time really seeing it in person. I wish it would just heal or he would just give up. I don't like seeing him in this condition. I am also wondering if he is high off of IAL and that is why he is blowing bubbles all around the cup! Lol! :)