Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #1 
gmd1800

Hair color question

So I have quite an odd non-fishy-related question.

My hair is naturally medium to dark brown, and for the past six months I've been coloring it black. It looks great and really makes my heritage "come out" (I'm strongly Italian and Spanish). However, I'm very curious to what I would look like with reddish tints.

I'm due to touch up my roots at the end of this months and I was wondering if I could use a dark red dye and dye all of my hair. Would a tint even show up? Is it even worth doing? Or should I stick with black?

If it helps, I use this:
Well, not exactly this, but something very similar to it. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Colorsilk-...Color/13911231
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #2 
Burd

General rule that worked with me: if your hair is dark, dyes that are lighter won't work 'as well' on it. I naturally have dark brown hair and used to dye my hair in 4-6 week intervals. My hair is strangely resilient and just takes it :P

Anyway... I really loved burgundy and darker red colors. I'd buy a fairly vibrant red and it'd always be a shade or so darker. It'd work, but not like on the box. Don't listen to the box's examples. They're photoshopped garbage.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #3 
Silverfang

usually you get what you pay for,, I'm getting mine done by my stylist on tues, nice 'n bright red
Also, if you have really dark hair, there usually has to be bleaching or lightening of some sort if you're going for anything like red or blond highlights
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I'd agree, see a hairdresser. They might need to remove the black. If your hair is brown dyed black, you'll end up with black hair with red roots if you go the boxed route.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #5 
gmd1800

Alright - that's what I thought. Thanks for clearing things up! I don't have the money (or the time!) to go to a hairdresser, nor do I want to bleach my hair. The way things stand, I'll probably just touch up my roots with black dye again.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #6 
Pekemom

What about doing some red highlights? How long is your hair?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #7 
vilmarisv

As vaygirl said, you will end up with balck hair and red roots.
My Natural hair is dark but I've been dying it a Strawberry Blonde color for years. I didn't go with the bleach route because I know it does more harm than good but it took over a year for the color to take like I wanted it and I started with "virgin" hair.
I used to die black before that and to get rid of it I decided to let it grow out, then I cut about 10 inches, grew it out again and dyed it the strawberry blonde. Took a few years but I've been happy with the results and now don't see myself changing it again.
Anyway, if you think you might want to change in the future and are ok with the bleaching, then keep doing what you're doing, otherwise I suggest growing out your hair.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #8 
Kaylin

If you've been dying your hair black and decide to go for highlights, keep in mind that you are not going to get a perfect platinum blond. The highlights will be orange because of the black dye.
If you want red highlights, I'd suggest extensions. Just the little clip in varieties, nothing permanent. Gives you vibrant colour, and you can still keep the black.

~Kaylin
Kaylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

You would most likely need to get a toner to tone down the orange tones. It is best to get it done at a salon...Do you have any colleges near by? A lot of times the cosmetology classes have somewhat cheap "salons" set up for the students who are about to graduate..It gives them practice..and it is pretty affordable..I got my hair dyed a few times there and trimmed.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #10 
gmd1800

I live on a college campus, lol. There is one place right next to where I usually have lunch, but they're professional stylists and it can get a bit pricey. I can check to see if they can do my hair, though. Perhaps during finals week.

Pekemom, my hair grew out quite a bit. I think it's a bit longer than shoulder length right now with chunky bangs.