Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #11 
Pekemom

Quote:
My dog likes her though, so I always end up over there.
So funny!! My dog likes it there, too!!!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #12 
nowzem

When I went to Petsmart last week they told me that they only change the cups water twice a week. TWICE! In a friggin cup! At the pet store I worked at about 10 years ago, we changed their water daily! The girl also told me that once I got my betta home that I only needed to change the water once a month! She never asked what size tank or anything!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #13 
SnowySurface

I also got bad advise when I first started with my bettas. I don't know how Luigi and Snowy survived the winter with no heater and monthly water changes. I checked my themometer last night and freaked a bit when I say the temp is about 72 during the day but drops as low as 65 at night. The sunlight was doing way more for my tank temp than I realized. I think my filter and water condictioners deserve medals for keeping my fishies alive through the winter. Especially since the sunlight was weaker and the temp dips had to be more drastic than now. >.< Thankfully, their heaters arrive tomorrow to prevent any future temp dips. I must have the most hearty, patient, and forgiving Bettas on Earth. <3
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #14 
dazzlejazzle12

I was in petsmart the other day and I was buying one of those .5 gallon (or less) things they call "betta tanks". When I went to pay for it the lady said "Oh, do you have betta's at home?" and I told her I did and that he was in a 5 gallon tank with a heater and a filter and that the bowl I was getting was for when I was doing water changes. She looked at me like I was stupid and said "Betta's don't need heaters or filters. They like small homes and cold water." I mean... Really?
dazzlejazzle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #15 
DarkMoon17

Petsmart (Petco to a lesser extent) is notorious for teaching its employees that bettas are puddle fish. If they were to tell people the truth; that bettas require tanks with heat and etc... they would sell fewer and make less money. THAT is why they teach their employees that bettas are cold water puddle fish. It isn't exactly out of stupidity, it is out of pure greed. I do know a number of educated employees who try their best to properly educate people without getting fired but well... It's just another way humans take advantage of other species :/
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #16 
Tisia

you know, it almost seems like the profits would probably end up pretty close to the same to me. sure less people would buy, but the ones that did would end up spending more on the bigger tanks with heaters and more decorations to fill them

oh, and less dealing with returns when people find out how insufficient those horrible little betta tanks are
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #17 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
you know, it almost seems like the profits would probably end up pretty close to the same to me. sure less people would buy, but the ones that did would end up spending more on the bigger tanks with heaters and more decorations to fill them

oh, and less dealing with returns when people find out how insufficient those horrible little betta tanks are
True, but you have to remember that the people Petsmart markets to are uneducated children/parents who are just looking for something to grab their kid's attention for a few weeks. Bettas are sturdy enough to survive just past the 14 day return policy too, so when the fish does die, the kid cries and parents go replace it. It's a win win for Petsmart. Most pet owners do not do proper research (the petstore employee knows best after all). There are far more irresponsible owners than there are responsible fish owners.

Additionally, people are more willing to repetitively buy bettas if supporting them is cheap. If they just need to buy a jar for each betta then they can get 10 of them for minimal personal cost. Responsible owners will buy the 10 gallon tank and decor, but once the tank is properly set up and stocked, they don't buy much else (or buy things online) and the fish lives longer ( and does not need medicine) so it is not replaced. Not to mention that it is cheaper to buy complete fish set ups at walmart (or online, or craigslist: responsibile owners do more research on where to find cheap things too) so petsmart doesn't necessarily benefit from responsible owners at all.

This is all of course generalized. If you just sit in Petsmart for awhile and people-watch you can see it happen right in from of you repetitively. It's very sad.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #18 
Arashi Takamine

The sad thing is this one employee at Petco I saw once was helping this woman and her daughter with goldfish they had like twenty comets they were asking questions and he didn't say anything, not: "Sorry I don't know." Or "Maybe ask someone else?" Sad thing is they had a clever way of transporting those pond fish. They brought a little basket to carry the bag in. Their Moor, Calico, and Ryukin tanks are pretty bad. They wiggle like betta's do when their flaring but they are bigger then my fist...They only keep six oranda's together in the thing at a time and their coy are really well taken care of. Sadly the woman who usually takes care of the betta's wasn't there and so many fish had fin-rot and were tailbiting that it pained me.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #19 
Blazer23

The day (i went to petsmart) I upgraded my bowl I asked if other fish can live with a betta. SHE SAID NOTHING CAN LIVE WITH A BETTA NOT EVEN SNAIL!
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #20 
Ariel1719

I work at a pet store but we dont sell pets. I WISHH I worked in a store that had pets. Just so i could help educate STUPID ignorant people. I actually had a customer come in today and ask about betta's. He saw the dumb 1/2 gal 'betta bowl' we carry, but i showed him the 5 and 10gals we also have. He ended up leaving with a full 10gal setup for his one betta. He wont be cycling the tank but he said he does 100% changes once a week and 25% every other day. I was very pleased with his decision! Every time I go into my local petsmart, i try to help at least one person on bettas. There is always someone looking at 1gallon bowls. It often helps when i pull my phone out and show a photo or video of one of my happy betta's in a 2.5 or more gallon tank. Most people just think bettas are the sick and dying ones or are all they do is lay around.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote