Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #1 
Hokuao

Time to Upgrade

'Alepo'i is in a very old tank that's been passed down from a friend's family and it's time for an upgrade. The light doesn't work, there's no room for a filter, there's no room for a heater, and there's no room for a thernometer. A heater and a thernometer are one of the most important things that a betta needs, so I'm rushing to find a cheap 2.5 gallon tank for 'Alepo'i because I don't want him to freeze to death. Right now I'm using one of those electric heat pads to keep him warm until I can get a 2.5 gallon that's capable of fitting a heater, thernometer, and filter. Where should I look for this cheap tank? Is it a good idea to look on Craigslist for a cheap 2.5 gallon?
Hokuao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #2 
Neil D

See if you could get 5. It's easier to cycle, heat and filter. I'd try eBay, craigslist, the lfs, petstores, goodwill, thriftstores...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #3 
Hokuao

I don't want to purchase a 5 gallon because next month we're going to be buying a 29 gallon where the fish will be kept and I know that the 5 gallon would go to waste. I could use a 2.5 gallon as an extra tank for healing any sickness or taking pictures and I'll still be able to fit it in my room. However, I couldn't find a 2.5 gallon on Craigslist, so I went to eBay like you suggested and came across a 2.5 gallon that seemed to be alright. I would like some second oppinions though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUEON-MINI-BOW-...item5643b705dc
Hokuao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #4 
Neil D

Seems good. I would get different food and water conditioner for bettas. Also I would watch the filter carefully to see if a baffle is necessary. Good Luck!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #5 
Luimeril

what a steal! those tanks cost way more than that at petsmart and petco! O.o
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #6 
JackisLost

If you are on a budget, check a craft store like micheal's in the vase section. They have some nice oval ones and some are bigger than 2 gallons. Under 10 dollars, thick glass, pretty good looking

Here is what someone in my area is doing with a vase

Last edited by JackisLost; 04-19-2011 at 11:01 PM.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

I got my buddy Batman in a 3 gallon critter carrier. He loves it. It was only 11 dollars at petco.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #8 
Pekemom

That vase set up looks so pretty, Jack - but then you'd have to put a filter and heater on it - wouldn't look so good then...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

You can also try sterilite and rubbermaid clear containers. Theyre cheap and you can get 10 gallons for $10! A quality name brand is recommended. A lid can be made by drilling/cutting holes into the top or using saran wrap.

I did this for a few weeks and it worked fine! :D The heater and filter (if you have it) will fit in them until your big tank comes.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #10 
Neil D

Yeah! Keep looking for ideas. The kritter keeper is a good one. 4 gals for like 15$! With lid! Worth it... Then when u get a tank, use it for QT.