Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #1 
roxy15

Angry I was so Mad

Well i went to Walmart yesterday for some things and my son and I were looking at the fish, I was so sickened by what I saw...2 dead Betta fish and all the beta fish looked like their water has not been changed in weeks.. I reported it to the store manager and his response was ..their only fish. I themtold my son that is why I will Not buy any fish from here.

Only Fish ...How rude...How would he like to be in a little cup in dirty filthy water?

I love my betts and think of them as my kids....
Needless to say, I think Walmart should never sell them.
Poor fishies...

Sorry had to get this out.
roxy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #2 
Tisia

report them to their head office. make sure to tell them what the manager said and that it's completely unacceptable. the whole goal of customer service is to keep customers, not run them off by being a jerk. I really don't understand why so many places don't change their cups, I can't imagine it taking very long considering how small they are
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #3 
Gerty7408

Wow I can't believe how rude that guy is! I hate seeing the dead fish at Walmart, I feel like there's always one when I go there. Yesterday I found two at Petco, they just said, "They'd take care of it".
Gerty7408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #4 
DaveC

I am very glad our local Walmart doesn't carry live fish. I don't think they would be well cared for.

I miss our LPS (closed due the owner's health problems) all the animals there were well cared for and they made sure that all buyers fully understood proper care before the new pet was allowed to leave the store.

I am sure some people thought it was just "upselling" to be told that their new fish needed a bigger thank. Yes, the tanks at the shop were crowded. But, they also had rapid turnover of fish, massive filtration systems and constant water quality checks.

A betta on display in a cup with 2-3x daily water changes is a lot different that a betta in a bowl that is lucky to get a weekly change.

Always speak up if you see dead or sick animals for sale. Let the store know that they have lost sales and customers.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #5 
Harley

Unhappy

I'm glad the Walmarts in my area don't have live fish. I've heard nothing but bad stories for the ones that do. Unfortunately LPS can also be bad about changing the water. I was/am fairly inexperienced when I got my Betta and I got him with fin rot which we're still fighting. His water was kind of dirty when I got him but just thought that I would be giving him clean stuff when he got home. Lesson learned.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:29 AM   #6 
ollief9

There are some very disturbing videos on Youtube showing the poor conditions wal-marts fish are kept in.
One of them shows a tank, filled with dead fish just sitting there.
And the bettas are just left to sit in cups.
Poor things.

Luckily, in the Uk, supermarkets don't sell fish. ASDA does sell horrible little goldfish bowl kits but I think almost all supermarkets and pet stores do.

My local fish store is very good, the bettas are displayed in large tanks with Platies, and the employees are very helpful and they always ask a few questions about your tank before they let you buy fish.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 AM   #7 
baylee767

I visited the UK and they keep all their lucky Bettas in big tanks (minimum 5 gallons...) No cups.

I hate walmart. I saw a video once of a tank their that held 7 fish in it... 7 rotting pure white angel fish carcasses floating at the top of the tank (silvery in life) And one where I think they were having a 7 Bettas for really cheap sale (Like $1-$7)... the irony of this was there were 7 Bettas left and they were dead >.> (Not sure if it was 7 but... it's something like that)

Walmart should stop selling fish. And just the fact thst there are probably over a million walmarts and 80% sell fish... *shudders* Poor Bettas )=
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #8 
BETTACHKALOVE

I would call and complained to the corporate. I did it before. I told them that all my neighborhood who has kids can't go because we don't want our children to see dead fish. And i told them how they can carry them if they don't even have any right equipment to take care of the fish. Manager was very understandable and corporate called me back too. I don't know what happened that store don't carry them anymore. It maybe not because of my complain though.

Those stores it sad they just put those little cups and never change the water at all.

BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #9 
ollief9

Quote:
I visited the UK and they keep all their lucky Bettas in big tanks (minimum 5 gallons...) No cups.
The worst I've conditions I've seen Bettas kept in here is in a big divided tank, each Betta in a small compartment, with a few vents so the water flows through the whole system. The glass which seperates them is clear, so they are constantly flaring. This must put them under a lot of stress.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #10 
Luimeril

pics of that walmart would have been perfect for my video i'm making(about the conditions bettas are forced to live in, both in stores and in homes sometimes).

but, yeah. report that walmart. if you're on Facebook, look for a page called "Fight Wal-Mart Fish Cruelty". their whole mission is to stop walmarts from ever selling live animals, because of their lack of concern for their health. :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote