Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 02:55 AM   #1 
ollief9

Filter Broke!

My filter broke. It's a Fluval U1. What should I do? I spent all my paper round wages so I have to wait another week to buy one! When I get my money, what filter should I get?
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I had to look that one up...thats a nice filter.....what broke about it.....I would tear it apart and see if you could fix it....often its the impeller that is bound up and just needs cleaned.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:10 AM   #3 
Harley

OFL might be right about the cleaning. I've heard good things about the Fluval and Tetra whisper filters although I don't have either. I have a Top Fin filter which came with my 10 gallon starter kit, it o.k. but the current is too strong for my betta and I had to buffer it.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #4 
ollief9

It's working now! Phew! I took it out for a few days after it 'died', then absent-mindedly put it back in the tank and bravo! Now all I have to do is try and buffer the flow; another story entirely....
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

My Fluval U1 was always 'dying'. I found that the impeller clogs up a lot more than the comparative Fluval 1 Plus, and I stopped using mine because of it. The flow would slow and then it would stop altogether and wouldn't start even when cleaned and plugged back in.

The only problem with your filter conking out is that you've probably lost all your beneficial bacteria if your tank was cycled. I didn't realise I'd left my filter disconnected in one of my tanks for a couple of days, and I've had trace readings of ammonia since plugging it back in.

I would just monitor your water parameters over the next few weeks, to make sure your cycle doesn't crash and harm your fish.

ETA: To buffer the flow, I turned the dial down to the lowest flow and then used an elastic band to strap some filter sponge over the outlet. It didn't look very attractive, but it worked.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #6 
Pekemom

Just curious, Ollie, how long have you had that filter? Also, why do you think it started up again after a few days?

I had Fluval filters in my two 42 gal tanks back in the day. They were very reliable, but I did have startup problems with them after cleaning.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote