Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #1 
n3wport

Catappa Leaf?

Not trying to breed my fish, or anything crazy. But I was reading that they are healthy for your fish?
But they can stain the water color?
What are you opinions/uses/ideas on this?
Do the fish eat it or does it just absorb into the water?

Thanks guys
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

They're wonderful. They do darken the water; many aquarists like the aesthetics of a crystal clear tank, but bettas like the dark water. How dark they tint the water depends on how many/what size leaves you use. Catappa leaves help simulate the betta's natural environment, and they release tannins, which help prevent illnesses and heal injuries, into the water. I've never seen a betta ever try to nibble on them; I think their effects are just on the water itself.

Some use the leaves to brew a dark water extract "tea," some put them in the filter, and some just place the leaves in the tank. I don't mind the look of the leaves and I'm lazy, so I just drop them in the tank and leave them in until they start to get slimey, then I change them. My bettas like to swim around and underneath them, and I think they (along with frequent water changes of course!) are really helping prevent my tail biter from getting fin rot. I highly recommend them!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote