Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #11 
luluo

I bought one of those bookshelf aquariums from Petco. Haven't done anything yet, but I'm surprised by how spacious it is. I did purchase a different filter but for no reason other than how big the one in the box was. I'll save that as a spare.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #12 
tracyalexa

http://www.aquariumforum.com/gallery...le=6392&size=1
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #13 
vaygirl

That looks nice! I think I'm going to order one. Can you put a CFL bulb in it, do you think? Is the hood incandescent or florescent?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #14 
Twilight Storm

If you go to
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/freshwater_tanks.php they have a bunch of pictures of what people have done, and there are some bookshelf tanks there. :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #15 
BluInk

I have two Mini Bow 2.5g tanks. This is the first one I set up when I transitioned from having my Betta, Coco, in a bowl. I'll be changing the gravel to Fluval substrate because I want more plants. The ones in there now are still in their little pots and I want to go more natural:

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Steve/Pictures/Aquarium%20Pics/IMG_4256.JPG[/IMG]
Attached Images

BluInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #16 
avbprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
That looks nice! I think I'm going to order one. Can you put a CFL bulb in it, do you think? Is the hood incandescent or florescent?
Fluorescent. 18" 15w, to be precise.

I have two of the Petco bookshelf tanks; one with a single male and one with two divided females. I chose not to use a filter, but if I did use one, I would definitely buy something other than what it came with. That one came with no media, and sounded like a motor boat! I haven't had any issues with the hood, though it is a trifle tedious to have to take off the separate light bar, and then the clear plastic top when doing anything in the tank. But the the tank itself is worth it, and I don't find the top to be cheap/flimsy/fragile like I believe some Petco reviews have mentioned. In my opinion it is the ideal Betta tank: shallow and wide, with so much lateral swimming space, like the water they naturally live in. And it looks so much bigger than 6 gallons! It's basically 24" wide, which is the width of a standard 15 gallon. I really like mine.
avbprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #17 
BluInk

This is the 2nd one, still a work-in-progress and uninhabited:

Attached Images

BluInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #18 
vaygirl

@avbprincess Awesome, thanks! That's the same size my 16g light takes, so I already have a daylight bulb for it. :D I'm sold. Next, to figure out how to get the lightning fast dwarf puffer out of his old tank without exposing him to air. :/
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #19 
demonr6

As luck should have it I was trolling the forum tonight and ran across this thread. This is the Petco 6.6 bookshelf. The stock light hood blows so scrap that immediately with the filter which is loud as heck. This pic is a not the most recent, it has a lot more plants now and a cleaning crew of ghost shrimp and olive nerite snails. That stone thing is gone too as it started to get some funky green spot algae thanks to the light being within an inch of the water. The nerites were not in the tank at the time to make that not happen.

demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #20 
avbprincess

vaygirl, you're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
The stock light hood blows so scrap that immediately
I do have to disagree with this, as I like my light, but everyone has different standards. I do know that these tanks will come with one of at least two kinds of (generic brand) bulbs, and that one brand is much brighter than the other. I have the better bulb and like it, but if I had the duller bulb I would have replaced it.
avbprincess is offline   Reply With Quote