Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #1 
melbot

breeding question...which tank?

Hi All,

I have carefully planned to spawn two bettas. I have been periodically placing and removing the female betta (in a 1.5 gallon tank) next to the male betta (in a 2.5 gallon tank) to see if they were compatible and if the female would show signs of being interested. This is my first time breeding, so I didn't know what to expect.

While I have been letting them adjust, I went ahead and set up another 20 gallon "grow out tank". The water is 6 inches, temp is 80, and I also have a another tank set up to grow the baby brine shrimp (all I need to do is drop the eggs in).

Here is my question...Almost overnight, my male suddenly blew a HUGE bubblenest in the 2.5 gallon, and the female is suddenly acting interested and is showing bars. Do I first move the male to the 20 gallon tank, have him blow an entirely new nest, and THEN allow them to spawn, or can I spawn them in the 2.5, immediately remove the female, then move the fry to the 20 gallon once they become horizontal? I feel like moving the male now that he has an established nest will disrupt the process, but they are so ready!

Thank you very much!
melbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

You can spawn in a 2.5 but you risk injury to the fish if they get too aggressive because there's no room to escape. It's certainly an option however, I know many breeders who prefer the smaller tank size for spawning. I would not remove the fry from that tank until they're at least 2 weeks old to prevent killing them from shock. You'd just have to be diligent about water changes so as to not foul the water.

IMO a 20 gallon is too big to spawn in. It'll be harder for the fry to find food which will slow their growth. I would instead spawn in a 5 or 10 gallon tank and transfer the fry to the 20 gallon once they're around 4-6 weeks old.

BTW.. Welcome to the forum

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 04-20-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: addition
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #3 
melbot

Thank you so much for the reply! I was thinking that the 20 was too big for a starter as well. I actually have a ten gallon tank that I could set up, too. (My petstore owner friend donatd a bunch of tanks). If I do decide to let them spawn in that tank, I will monitor them very closely to prevent injury to my female. Unfortunately, I have a little bit of gravel in the 2.5, so I need to carefully remoe that before I get started.

Here are some pics of the parents-to-be (I am a horrible photographer). Obviously, the red male is not show quality. However, if this works out, I want to breed the same female to the black PK. I know that such a breeding would produce half short-tails and half longs, I I think he is just gorgeous! This is so exciting!
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #4 
melbot

I just realized how many typos were in my reply. Had a long day. Anyway, it is probably obvious that I am a newby, but I have had enough patience to successfully spawn angelfish (easier or more difficult?), so I feel confident that I can do this!

Tags
spawning, tank, tank size