betta fish

Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #1 
phoenix91

Artemis update and what looks like a small bubblenest

I woke up this morning to find this:

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  26.3 KB

I woke up yesterday and there was a different one a little bigger than this and in a different location. The other one is gone because i had to pull apart the filter as it was making crunching noises and i somehow managed to stir up the water and destroy it.

Name:  photo (1).JPG
Size:  24.4 KB

So is it a bubblenest? or some strange bubble phenomenon caused by the filter? The filter has a little stronger flow than i'd like even though it's baffled but it's not bothering Artemis.

Also, whether Artemis is a girl or boy s/he has perked up loads after being in the new home for almost a week. When s/he was first put into this tank her fins were clamped and she was so lethargic. S/he's really energetic now and being really social and eating and everything. I'm glad, i was worried about her/him.

So help me out, boy or girl? i'm still leaning towards tiny girl but the bubbles are confusing me.
Name:  photo (5).JPG
Views: 128
Size:  27.0 KB

Name:  photo (2).JPG
Size:  23.8 KB
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #2 
tumtum

Looks like a nest to me, congrats!
tumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #3 
n3wport

Ive read that females can make bubblenests but its uncommon.. so idk! I feel like you have a tinie tiny boy! buy dont take my word for it, haha :P
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #4 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
Looks like a nest to me, congrats!
Thanks! i guess i'll have to wait until he grows a bit to find out what type he is. I'm so glad i don't have a bigger tank, i was going to start a sorority if i had gotten a 10 + gallon and i would have added him. Could have been a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wport View Post
Ive read that females can make bubblenests but its uncommon.. so idk! I feel like you have a tinie tiny boy! buy dont take my word for it, haha :P
I heard it was very uncommon too which is why i was thinking maybe my fish isn't a girl. Either that or she's very gender confused. I guess i probably have a boy on my hands, so now i have 2 boys. kinda sad because i really wanted a little girly. I'll just have to plan on getting a girl in the future.

i'll wait until he grows a bit to see how if fins develop and grow.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

I've been finding those in my girl's tank too! But she is definitely a girl. I've had her for 2 months, her oviposter is clearly visible and she just doesn't look like a boy. Neither does your betta! I think we just have happy girl bettas who are blowing bubbles for us. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #6 
phoenix91

I got home and the nest is bigger, Artemis must have been working on it today. I suppose it doesn't really matter if fishie is a boy or girl.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #7 
Betta Slave

Looks like a little girl to me... but it's hard to tell with her being far away in the pics.

Congrats! :) I've had a girl or two blow a bubblenest on me, and they are pretty uncommon.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #8 
phoenix91

She's nippy and fast, hard to catch on camera. Plus my camera isn't so great at the up close shots. I feel very privileged that she's happy enough to blow bubblenests. I've had to turn off the filter because it needs an extra baffle i think so hopefully i'll have another big nest in the morning from her.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #9 
Johnificent

this post makes me miss my girl named artemis :/ your betta reminds me so much of her...
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #10 
phoenix91

Awww, I'm sorry. I bet she had a great life, could you maybe post some pics of her?