Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #1 
Nyjas16

Tastes like pool water

I live on campus while going to college and the water tastes like it is drained straight from a pool. It smells very much so of chlorine. I can't even stand to drink it.
I know the dechlorinator that you can buy works well but im not sure it can work THAT well. I have been buying jugs of spring water thinking it was safer for the past month but just read that it is not a good choice.
I have exactly 1 more month then I will be on my own with safe tap water. Until then, what should I be using? Continue with spring water? Or dechlorinate the pool-ish water? Thanks everyone
Nyjas16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #2 
bettafish15

If it's just a month, I'd keep with the spring water and switch asap back to tap water after the month. Thats my opinion. :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #3 
nowzem

You can age the water for 24 hours (add dechlorinator too) which should be fine because chlorine happens to be a very unstable molecule and will break up after 24 hours (usually quicker). But spring water should be fine for a month (especially if you've already bought it and won't be drinking it).
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #4 
Crazykat

I have the same thing at my school. I Brita everything I drink because it's just soooo bad. I can't afford to buy that much spring water, so before I hauled my fish up, I tested my dechlorinator on the water and the readings went from dangerous levels of chlorine to no chlorine detectable. I let it sit for awhile before adding it, too, so the dechlorinator has time to work on the whole bucket. I use Prime. *poses with bottle and flashes pearly whites at the cameras*
Seriously though, if your tests come up clean, I'd say you can go for it. If you're nervous, though, then I'd say wait for the month to be up.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #5 
Nyjas16

Thanks you three for helping. I think I will just keep with the spring water because he seems healthy and happy with it at this point. He's very active and eating well with bright colors and open fins. He even has a nice sized bubble nest going on. He is in a 2.5 gallon right now but will be in a 10 gallon in a month. Can't wait to see how happy he is then!
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #6 
nowzem

Holy wows! That's a bubble nest if I ever saw one!!

My hubs said my betta is a lazy boy im comparison!
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #7 
Nyjas16

Awww nowzem, its cute. My boy always has to have a bubble nest prepared. I took that picture yesterday and did a 100% water change today and the nest is almost the size it was in the picture. Im watching him work on it still right now. Just in case a lady comes along lol
Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #8 
nowzem

LOL! I'm jealous! I did a 100% water change yesterday too and he built another baby nest :) Oh well, a nest is a nest, right?! :D