Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #1 
metalbetta

Exclamation Possible sorority columnaris outbreak

I should have seen this coming.
I know, I know. It's my own fault for being lax on water changes in the last week or two. I won't give excuses, it's my own irresponsibility. I'd like to slap myself for it at this point.

Anyway, Both Nina and Delilah have visible sores/fuzzies on their bodies. Nina is a little more advanced than Delilah, but I'm treating them both the same. Nina has AQ salt and betta revive in her tank, and Delilah just has AQ salt... I plan to add the revive stuff tomorrow. Mainly in the hope that it will at least slow the bacterial growth and keep them comfortable until I can get their meds.

I've read up on how to treat fish individually and I ordered some antibiotics (erythromycin) from Foster and Smith. I'm doing my best with AQ salt until it gets here. They're both acting as they normally would, which is kind of a relief in the sense that it doesn't seem to be attacking them internally quite yet. ... Nina has been on and off flaring at her brother. Rikku has been flaring back... Kinda cute... Anyway... Then again Sora acted normally too when she had her sore, and she passed about 48 hours later. But her sore was WAY advanced...

As for indirect treatment I bleached out all the betta cups, and plan on doing the same to the sorority tank itself tomorrow. No, I am not afraid to use bleach at a time like this, because I'm an adult and can handle chemicals properly. Don't hound me for it, because I know some of you will. Sometimes "natural" cleaning methods don't work, and at this point I want to brutally murder whatever's been attacking my fish.

My question is... How can I preventatively treat the other 5 girls who aren't showing signs... at least yet? I've already dosed them with salt, and lowered the tank temp... I planned on treating the whole tank with the erythromycin I ordered whenever it gets here, but I'm worried about getting antibiotic-happy and cultivating super-bugs. But I guess that's inevitable in any case?

Also... Sanitizing silk plants. I can't bleach those, obviously... Should I just run them under hot water?

Is there anyone who has experienced something close to this that can share some advice? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thank you!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:44 AM   #2 
TheKingsFish

1. AQUARIUM SALT WILL JUST MAKE IT WORSE. We've had this problem before and we lost one this way. Epsom salt will slow it down until you can get sufficient medication, but do bear in mind that not all antibiotics work in salt.

2. Had some success with API T.C. Tetracycline

3. Keep her cool and dark

Try Hydrogen Peroxide and hot water. It is a good disinfectant that decomposes into hydrogen and water when exposed to light (that's why it's always kept in brown bottles): but remember to rinse everything thoroughly.

Otherwise, check your other thread.
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #3 
metalbetta

Haha thanks, I posted this one about a week ago. I quit the AQ salt and am currently treating with epsom salt. I have some hydrogen peroxide on hand as well, I'll have to give that a shot as well. maybe not all at once. but I'll try.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #4 
Luimeril

when Remy got it(it was the day before he passed, though), she told me to dose him... lemme find the PM...

Quote:
Fuzzy stuff on the fish especially on wounds are not good...but I am sure you know that.....I would start treatment ASAP with 3tsp/gal aquarium salt, lower the water temp to 76F and add an airstone if you can-make 100% daily water changes with the 3tsp/gal aquarium salt.....we have two forum of flexibacter in the tank at all times-one fast acting and one slower- and once this invade open wound it can sometimes eat the fish flesh-....I can't say this is what your Betta has but I would treat for it-because if it is the fast acting flex the fish can die within 24h.
that's what she told me about Remy's fuzzies. D: that's straight from OFL herself. sorry i didn't find this last night. Dx i feel horrid
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #5 
metalbetta

well, I have an airstone lying around somewhere. I'll have to use that. I've been getting a lot of contradicting responses on the use of aquarium salt, so I don't know what I'm going to do about that. I'm actually OUT of AQ salt, and I'll have to go restock sometime today. However it wasn't helping her fin rot issue at all... Hm.
Right now I'm focused on getting her scales back down if at all possible. I've read that epsom salts are supposed to draw out excess fluid. And it can reduce bloating, even in humans. She's already been treated, and now we'll just have to play the waiting game.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #6 
Luimeril

i do hope you can help them all! it was horrid, seeing Remy in the state he was in, then not being able to help him in time, so i know how you're feeling. ;A;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #7 
TheKingsFish

The peroxide is for sanitizing the tank. If you add it to her water (only a few drops), it will attack the bacteria and give her some bubbles to chase, but it will likely sting, just as it does with us. It can also damage her gills and labyrinth organ if you're not careful with it. As long as you add it infrequently it should be fine and wont negatively interact with the antibiotics.
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #8 
carzz

The plants, try boiling them and letting the air dry.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #9 
Pekemom

How are things now, Metalbetta?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #10 
metalbetta

Nina's not looking any better... She's got dropsy for sure. :(
I've pretty much resigned to the fact that she's too far gone to save. I've been doing my best to make her comfortable though... Although earlier she managed to trap herself in a corner, so now her dorsal is bleeding. Problem fixed.
She's still eating, thankfully. Tomorrow I'm going to go pick up some antibacterial fish food in a last ditch effort to save her. I also have some Triple Sulfa on the way... Should be here by the end of the week. If I can't use it on Nina, I'll use it on Delilah. Thankfully Delilah hasn't gotten any worse. She's got one little white spot on her side that hasn't grown or anything. I'm afraid to irritate it, but I'm going to have to. As for the rest of the girls, I haven't noticed too much... Daiquiri MIGHT have something on her... But I'm not going to leave that to chance. At this point I'm going to assume they all have it. Once the triple sulfa gets here, I plan to treat the tank as a whole.

Gah, why does everything bad have to happen at once?!