Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #1 
Burd

Erratic, fast swimming..

Jabu-Jabu seems to be swimming around frantically, crazily... crashing into other fish, always stuck at the side of the tank ramming his head into it. He'll do this for 10-20 seconds and then stop for 5-10 seconds to breathe heavily with his gills flaring.

Is something wrong? What should I do for him?
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

Can you give us more details on your tank? There's a sticky with information: size of tank, tankmates, temp, etc. All those good details will help. Have you tested the water for ammonia, etc?

Turn out the light over the tank. It may help calm him down a little too.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #3 
Burd

I turned his light off several hours ago.

He's in a 10 gallon tank, heated, lit, filtered. It has an aeration stone but I don't turn it on but once a day for a few hours and it hasn't been on at all today. I haven't tested the water but the ammonia alert thing I have on the tank is between .05 and <.025 so I have to assume at least he's fine there. The other fish also seem fine.

He's got 6 zebra danios and a few ghost shrimp in there with him. Tank has plants, all live.

I'm kind of leaning towards he's choking. :/
Old 04-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #4 
roypattonphoto

sure hes not seeing reflection and going into attack mode?

put a piece of paper on the side of the tank see if it stops..
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #5 
chelsmarie23

I agree with roypattonphoto. He might be seeing his reflection. He may also be itching for some reason too.
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #6 
Pekemom

Any improvement, Byrd?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #7 
turtle10

I would do a water change. Ammonia should ideally be at zero, and never above .25

Does he see his reflection anywhere?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #8 
Burd

I think he either must've been seeing one hell of a reflection (he never has acted like THAT before) or been choking on his food. He's fine this morning it seems.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #9 
Harley

Harleys done the similar things with his reflection. I also recently put up one of those plant looking wallpapers on the back of his tank. He went super insane, flaring like I've never seen. I eventually couldn't take seeing him like that anymore and took it off. He calmed down in about 5 minutes.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #10 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
I haven't tested the water but the ammonia alert thing I have on the tank is between .05 and <.025 so I have to assume at least he's fine there. The other fish also seem fine.
The in-water submerged ammonia sensor reads UNBOUND ammonia, it does not read the actual level. You can have an actual level of 7.0ppm but using prime have that little sensor only read light green-yellow. If that sensor is not cold-and-bold yellow you have an ammonia problem that must be immediately addressed.

High ammonia levels can stall the nitrate cycle because the bacteria that eat the ammonia go to sleep until the ammonia goes away.

If you use anything that says it makes ammonia "safe" and that sensor goes off of yellow you should immediately start water changes as if your bio-filtration died.

The API liquid test kit is the simplest to use to measure ammonia, store it in cool room temp.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote