Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #1 
zeeby

picky eater

My betta finally arrived from Thailand Tuesday and he is gorgeous! However, whatever food I give him, he will chew on it then spit it right back out. I've tried the pellets, pellets soaked in garlic juice, flakes, even freeze dried brine shrimp! He just refuses to keep it down! What else should I try??
zeeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #2 
Lion Mom

Ok - that is only 2 days & he is probably very stressed from his long journeys and is still getting used to his surroundings. Just keep trying to feed him - the pellets, IMO - and remove any that are still in his tank after 10 or 15 minutes (so they don't foul the water). Try again the next day. Assuming he is healthy, he will eat when he is hungry & feels comfortable. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #3 
nowzem

I've had one of my bettas for a week and a half and at first the only thing he would eat was thawed frozen blood worms, but today he ate two pellets. So perserverance! Also, ditto what Lion Mom said-remove any uneaten food (give him a few minutes to eat or spit out before removing) Its ok if he doesn't eat for even a week, but you can try frozen bloodworms (which should be a treat not main diet) if you're really worried.
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #4 
Tisia

you can try crushing them up or getting a smaller pellet as well, may just be a bit big
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #5 
Arianthy

I've also got a question for pick eating fish LOL... I have a total of six Bettas, two males (house separately) and four females (starting a sorority). My males will eat flakes and pellets with no problems. Two of my will only eat the floating pellets, but the other two wont eat either or the bloodworms. Instead they eat the sinking shrimp pellets for the corys. I compared the ingredients and a majority of them are similar (give or take a few). Should i be worrying that they arent eating the betta food?
Arianthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #6 
nowzem

As long as the ingredients are similar and it's not a" treat" type food, I wouldn't worry too much. Most of the food is the same, just packaged for consumers. You may want to try different brands of pellets to see if there is a" better" one out there. Weird that they ignore bloodworms! I've never had a fish that didn't like those!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #7 
Arianthy

Well one of the two that werent eating the pellets is now eating them, and she also will eat the frozen Brine shrimp that I bought to try today. My Males love the shrimp! what floats to the bottom gets chased after and gobbled up! Lelu (my trouble fish) still chases after my corys and eat what they leave behind. I'm sure its probably a matter of time before she comes around and eats the tasty shrimp.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #8 
zeeby

He finally ate today!!! I bought some bettamin flakes and he is so picky that he only eats the bright red flakes and spits out the pink ones, at least he finally ate though. lol.
zeeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #9 
Arianthy

Thats good to hear! Lelu's still only eating the pellets... I caught her stealing it from a cory and running off with it in her mouth. I'll have to get a picture of it next feeding LOL