Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #1 
n3wport

Fish acting strangley, ICK?

okay, Ive had my betta for about 2 weeks now. He's in a 5 gallon filtered tank never below 70 degrees never above 76ish degrees.
He used to swim around at the top and flare, now he is just swimming around near the bottom of the tank.
He doesn't lay on his side, he just hovers near the bottom, why?

I made the mistake of getting him a snail friend, and he ate off a piece of his antennae and I took the snail out and got him his own little place. My fish ate last night alot of food (he usually only eats like one or two little flakes, he is very picky and doesn't even eat freezed dried blood worms??)
Right now he is swimming around, he may have been sleeping because when I got home all the lights in my room were out.

He didn't eat any flakes, I hope he didn't get sick from that snail!!! Im so scareddd. He doesn't look bloated, hes not skinny, hes just normal shaped, I guess.

When I first got him, he was pure white. They his body turned a peachey color and he got red strips in his tail, is that color or something bad???

He seems to rub against leaves sometimes, not constantly, do you think thats the "ick" stuff? What should I do?? his scales look fine?
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #2 
JKfish

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Answer all of these, no skipping. A) you need to heat his water to 78-80* Fahrenheit. B) it sounds like he is suffering from ammonia burns/complications... or he could just be having issues with color changing at the same time as some other issuesC) Feeding flakes can be bad, seeing as they are messy, foul up the water, and aren't very nutritious.

Seeing as Ich is found constantly in the water column, and the only time a fish will catch it is when his or her immune system is lowered then yes, it is possible he could have ich. Luckily, it can be healed pretty easily without meds.

Last edited by JKfish; 04-20-2011 at 09:59 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #3 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?

Answer all of these, no skipping. A) you need to heat his water to 78-80* Fahrenheit. B) it sounds like he is suffering from ammonia burns/complications... or he could just be having issues with color changing at the same time as some other issuesC) Feeding flakes can be bad, seeing as they are messy, foul up the water, and aren't very nutritious.

Seeing as Ich is found constantly in the water column, and the only time a fish will catch it is when his or her immune system is lowered then yes, it is possible he could have ich. Luckily, it can be healed pretty easily without meds.
He never ate the pellets, he refused to eat them for 5 days straight. Should I do a full water change tomorrow of the tank?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #4 
JKfish

You need to answer those questions, please, it'll be helpful in deciding what is wrong. Also, bettas can go a good while without food. Pellets are healtheir for the most part. You can also pre-soak them with a tiny bit of garlic juice to make them more enticing.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wport View Post
okay, Ive had my betta for about 2 weeks now. He's in a 5 gallon filtered tank never below 70 degrees never above 76ish degrees.
This is way too cold, bettas need temps in the 76-80 range. They are tropical fish and require tropical temperatures.
He used to swim around at the top and flare, now he is just swimming around near the bottom of the tank.
He doesn't lay on his side, he just hovers near the bottom, why?

I made the mistake of getting him a snail friend, and he ate off a piece of his antennae and I took the snail out and got him his own little place. My fish ate last night alot of food (he usually only eats like one or two little flakes, he is very picky and doesn't even eat freezed dried blood worms??)
Right now he is swimming around, he may have been sleeping because when I got home all the lights in my room were out.

He didn't eat any flakes, I hope he didn't get sick from that snail!!! Im so scareddd. He doesn't look bloated, hes not skinny, hes just normal shaped, I guess.

When I first got him, he was pure white. They his body turned a peachey color and he got red strips in his tail, is that color or something bad???

He seems to rub against leaves sometimes, not constantly, do you think thats the "ick" stuff? What should I do?? his scales look fine?
Ick looks like tiny granules of pretzel salt on a betta.

You really need to answer all of the questions, or else we can't help you.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #6 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Ick looks like tiny granules of pretzel salt on a betta.

You really need to answer all of the questions, or else we can't help you.
Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? its never below 75, never above 80. At night it gets to 75.
Does your tank have a filter? yessir :P
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? ugh. I litteraly have FOUR different foods. My fish refused the pellets by 'Wardley', so I fed him Bettamin flakes, and as I was cleaning out his tank today I was like wow he needs pelletes, so as I bought medicine at the fish store I found these pellets that are much smaller! they are called 'omega one'
How often do you feed your betta fish? I give him food once a day at night, he will only eat a few pieces of the flakes. He never eats. I've had him for 2 weeks now

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every few days I'd use my tube thingie (idk sphiyon or whatever) to get all this food he never eats out of the gravel, and once at the end of the week Id do a half water change. (he was always taken out of the tank and put in my little kritter keeper)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? one gallon every 3 days and then on sundays I do 2-3 gallons (I use a bucket with gallons so I know how much of water conditionar I need to put in)
"Betta Complete Water Conditioner". I've just switched to API's "Betta Water Conditioner" today.

Water Parameters:
No, I literally just cleaned the tank really well so I could put this medicine I bought today in.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not really. When I first got him he had strange, like rough patches on his face. They looked like little pours. He acted normally and seemed fine so I just thought he was a weird lookin fishie.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? LAST NIGHT, he started to dart against the plants and rub his face on them. Right away I knew something bag was happening. He used to always swiming around the top of the tank and flare, now he is sleeping at the bottom of the tank and staying low in the tank. (when he "sleeps/rests", hes not laying directly on the gravel, he just hovers in his cave.)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night, Im never really home but he was doing it last night so I assumed it could have happened more.

Okay, I went to this huge aqurium store and talked to like 4 workers there. One woman that worked there says she buys and sales betta's on Aquabid! and she was really nice. She told me just to use salt in his tank at first and see if that helps. My gut was telling me that just salt wasnt going to CURE anything I assumed it'd just prevent it. I talked to some other girls and they suggested: API 'pro series' T.C. TETRACYCLINE: anti-bacterial fish medication. Its a powder that you put in the water and can cure: tail/fin rot, bacterial gill disease, hemorrhagic septicemia,open red sores, body slime & eyecloud.
I got home and I cleaned out his tank, I rinsed off all the plants he was rubbing on and his cave and changed about 50% of the water. I used water conditionar and took the carbon filter out but let the filter keep running, I put a tablespoon of aquarium salt and a half packt of that medicine stuff. I let the water sit for a while then I put fishie in. I see a difference already cause he is swimming around and is active and hasn;t rubbed or darted. :)

No
no idea, but he is really small for his size, I see other plakats and they are huge compared to him.

Im gonna be honest, I am new to this so please dont be mad if I made a mistake on the medicine and stuff. I couldnt tell if it was ick because he has no little grains of salt on him. I researched all last night and read that alot of bacterial infections can make betta fish rub against stuff. I stayed home from college so I could make sure he was alright by the morning!

questions:
-can he eat food in the tank (like there is medicine in there.. idk Im dumb)
-when the dosages are over should I clean the whole tank out or will the carbon filter take care of the coloring from the medicine?

Last edited by n3wport; 04-21-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #7 
turtle10

The carbon filter will remove the medicine itself. I would do just aq salt for now.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #8 
JKfish

AQ salt is a good treatment. If it is indeed ich, increase your temp to 82 degrees, and add 1 to 2 tsps of aq salt per gallon. Do this (with large 50% water changes/gravel vacs) for 14 days, and then slowly move back to 78* and no salt. :) I agree with Turtle, carbon filters remove meds immediately, so just go with the salt treatment described above.

Your water change schedule sounds good, though I would advise removing uneaten food in a few minutes, rather than leaving it there to rot. Try pellets, they're easier to feed and remove, and you have a better idea if he's eating enough.

Last edited by JKfish; 04-21-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #9 
gbose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
AQ salt is a good treatment. If it is indeed ich, increase your temp to 82 degrees, and add 1 to 2 tsps of aq salt per gallon. Do this (with large 50% water changes/gravel vacs) for 14 days, and then slowly move back to 78* and no salt. :) I agree with Turtle, carbon filters remove meds immediately, so just go with the salt treatment described above.

Your water change schedule sounds good, though I would advise removing uneaten food in a few minutes, rather than leaving it there to rot. Try pellets, they're easier to feed and remove, and you have a better idea if he's eating enough.
n3Nwport,

Is your tank cycled? if you're not sure, then read up on 'nitrogen cycle'. If it's not cycled, I'd suggest water changes every 2nd day.

Get a test kit and check for ammonia and nitrites; they may be causing your problem. Let us know what you find.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote