Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

rasbora questions

I am thinking about getting a few rasboras,dwarf or harlequin..Does anyone here keep rasboras with betta? Do they get along alright? My betta is a really mellow old guy..
Would 3 be too small of a group of them?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #2 
bettafish15

If the tank was big enough I think they'd get along ^^ 3 is a really small number though, if that's all you could fit then maybe dont have any tankmates ;) What size is your tank?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

I have had great success keeping H. Rasboras with bettas. I've never tried dwarf though. Depending on tank size, you should probably get at least 5 since they are schoolers.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #4 
JKfish

I had harlequin rasboras. Personally, I say they need to be in a group of 6, in a minimum of a 20 gallon tank. in a 10 gallon, they stressed out my boys too much, and were stressed as well by both boys. And they didn't have enough room to truly be happy
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #5 
Cassandra90

My boyfriend's dad keeps 5 with a male betta in a 10 gallon and never had any problems.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

My tank is 10 gallons. I have 4 peppered cories and my old guy Cleo in there right now..It is decently planted. I do 2 30% water changes a week. I recently Moved my 2 big apple snails from this tank into another..it looks abit empty now to me.....I was looking into maybe getting a small fish to school around in the plants a bit. That is why I am mostly interested in Dwarf rasboras or maybe even a few ember tetras if I can kind them... (I believe those are the smallest tetras)
Using:
http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.p...engthUnit=inch
It said Currently I am 88% stocked. If I added 3-4 dwarf rasboras or ember tetras I would be right at 100% stocked..Filter compacity122%.. I wouldn't be adding anything more after that of course..

Also, I am not 100% sure I am going to do this..I may just continue my search for cherry shrimp. But I have have bad luck with shrimp in the past...

Just a little "brainstorm" here...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #7 
JKfish

With the pepper cories, you are techinically pretty high up in stocking, and the extra fish might not help. You could go with shrimps, most will do well if you have a good and well planted tank for them to hide in if necessary. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #8 
bamsuddenimpact

my scissor tail rasbora was a spunky guy, very fiesty. he jumped out of the net once and flopped on the floor.. Lived through that ordeal, and being around 60 for a month because of a heater mishap.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #9 
Fermin

I had a shoal of 7-8 microrasboras. They were very skittish and hid amongst my plants in the very back of my tank. Meh. I definitely wouldn't get them again.

Bettas are just so much more interactive and hilarious, they take the cake for me as far as fish are concerned.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #10 
Neil D

Cardinal tetras are fun. I have 6, and it's really cool when they come up for food.so in my 10 gallon, I have six cardinals, and one male betta!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote