Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #1 
Seka

Red face Hey, newbie here

Hi everyone,

I'm a brand new betta owner. I've never had any fishies in the past so everything is really new to me. I will warn you, though, when I post, it's looong.

A week ago I was at my uni orientation and they gave out these itty bitty critter keepers that were only 1/4 gallon. I happily (like a little kid) went to my local pet store to ask what I can put in it, and they all pointed at the betta so I picked the one that was the most active and had the cleanest water in his cup. Yeah, I admit it, not so smart. I spent the whole night reading up on taking care of bettas, and I'm happy that I found this forum.

The very next day I went to a different pet shop and bought him a 2.5 gallon tank. He was so happy with it he changed his colors from a dull blue and red to rainbow. He also made an itty bitty bubble nest.

I had no idea a fish can have so much character. He gets so excited when he sees me, and comes when I tap on his tank just like a puppy.

Anyway, I have a few questions if I may.

His tank isn't cycled, and has no filter or heater. I decided to wait on the heater since I live in the south and it's very hot here year-round (most people wear t-shirts all year long). He won't need one until mid October since the temperatures are in their 70s at their lowest 'till than so room temperatures are even warmer.

I went to get a filter today, and umm... that didn't happen. I figured changing 25 to 50% (leaning towards the 50 more) every other day, plus a weekly 100% change should be enough. Is it? Or maybe it's overkill. At least the partial water changes don't stress him at all: he's known to swim into the cup that I'm using to get the old water out while I'm doing the changes... silly fishy. I also use a gravel vacuum every other partial change.

So why didn't I get him the filter? Erm, I got him a fully equipped (filter, heater, light, etc) 10g tank instead. And that's the source of all the questions I have: cycling it, setting it up properly, live plants, compatible fish/inverts, etc. I've read the stickies several times, but I still feel more comfortable talking to experienced people while going through the whole process.

Oh yeah, my avatar... that's Ben (one of my five birds), and my new betta is Dodo.
Seka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #2 
Silverfang

One thing I would suggest is a thermometer, so you can make sure his water is warm enough, I know they like it nice and toasty :)
Oh yes, in an unfiltered 2.5 gal, one 50% one 100% a week change is good
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #3 
Seka

Thanks for the suggestion. That's one of the first things I bought actually. I guess I just forgot to mention it. The new 10 gallon tank I bought today came with one so I'm set there, too. That's also how I know I don't need a heater for now, and soon I'll have to start cooling the water some way.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #4 
fleetfish

Welcome to the forum! Just a li'l warning though, bettas are proven to be extremely addicting.

Ben is so pretty, I love tiels.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #5 
Seka

Thank you for the warm welcome. I think that warning came a bit too late. It only took me a week to go from a 2.5 gallon to a 10 gallon. Dodo was so excited about the 2.5 gallon so I wonder what he'll think once the 10 gallon is ready for him.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #6 
LolaQuigs

Welcome! Ben is gorgeous, and I'm sure your new fish is too (we always love to see pictures!) Congratulations on your new fish and his new setup. Let us know if you have any specific questions as you set up your new tank, there are a lot of experienced and helpful people here!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #7 
tracyalexa

Hi! Welcome. Bettas are addicting! I went from one to 9 in about a month. Uggh. Anyway, there is a ton of info on cycling the tank & people on here with far more knowledge than me. I have 2 - 10 gal. One is divided & they do really well with 5 gals each. Another is in a 10 gal by himself. He is the 3rd one who's been in that tank though because there other 2 were too overwhelmed by it, so they went back to smaller tanks!
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #8 
beta novice

welcome if you need anything help wise or anything ask us feel free umm good when you put him in the 10gallon that would be swell yeah just dont over feed and just get a thermometer i wouldnt put too many fish in the tank with him maybe some corycats or a shrimp or something blood worms for treats guppie frie etc
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #9 
Seka

Thank you for the welcome, guys. Yeah, Ben is a cutie, and he's very goofy. I also have 3 parakeets (1 special needs), and another tiel (special needs) and a pet rock.

Yeah, tell me about this betta addiction. It's like this itty bitty fishy changed my life. His tank is right next to me so I can play with him while at the computer. I'll get some pics up soonish.

I think Dodo will do just fine in a 10 gallon and won't get overwhelmed by it. He's the over-excited, must use every inch of his space kind of betta. He's doing laps around his tank: over the mountain decoration, through the tunnel, through the cave, around the plant, repeat.

Yeah, I can't wait to set up the 10 gallon, but I have to. It'll have to wait 'till mid-May 'cause I'll be in Europe and I don't want the cycle to start while someone else is taking care of my pets. I was thinking of all live plants, a small school of neon tetras, a snail or adf and some ghost shrimp for the 10 gallon, but I'm really open minded about it as long as it isn't overstocked. But first must cycle it.

As for overfeeding - I'm feeding him Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits (mini floating pellets). I give him 4 pellets a day 6 days a week (skip one day). Is that good?

Oh yeah, I do have a thermometer. The water temperature is at 79 most of the time, but the past few days have been warmer so it's at 82, even at night.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #10 
beta novice

good yeah thats good
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote