Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

They're probably spawning although theres not much cover there for fry

They're cool looking.. I wonder if we have anything similar in our Lake. I know we have big ol' cat fish in there.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #12 
vaygirl

Not where I'm filming there isn't. Down stream on the lake end there's more cover and sediment. There's an overhanging bank too, on my side. But really there's very little vegetation in my creek. NJ is a lot of red clay and shale, which you can see at the bottom. All the sediment gets washed down to the other end.

We have lil minnow like things here that breed like crazy. They're about 4 inches at most. They kind of look like mosquito fish. By the end of summer they're all over, so stuff can survive. But we do have a lot of dragonflies too. It's chancy. :/

It's neat being able to see them. I go out a couple times a day.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #13 
vaygirl

Jackie you totally had it right. This is what I read about them...

"White suckers spawn from April to early May when they run upstream, usually starting at night. They seek areas with swift water and a gravel substrate to randomly spread their eggs. Females can lay between 20,000 to 50,000 eggs. The young hatch and remain in the gravel for one to two weeks before migrating downstream at night. Larval white suckers feed on protozoa, diatoms, and small crustaceans. As the young grow, the mouth moves to the underside of the fish and allows the fish to feed on the bottom."

That creek (and every aquarium I own) is LOUSY with diatoms and scuds (lil shrimp thingies). Cool!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

Hehe.. yay for me! It sounded like spawning behavior to me and then when you said the female dropped eggs all over your bucket I knew that's what they hadt o be doing.

That's cool.. I wonder if you'll be able to see the babies?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #15 
vaygirl

I'll keep a look out. It's pretty clear. Though they'll probably hang out under the banks where it's all gunky. I wonder if the female lives after spawning? She seemed pretty worn out and banged up. When I picked her up she didn't even struggle much. But she'd been flipping around on shale out of water for who knows how long.