Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #1 
Deanna01

Betta's tail got stuck in Fluval Chi!

So I have had my Fluval Chi for no more than a week now, and I have honestly loved it. It looks gorgeous on my desk, and my betta Martin has been very happy in it.

I showed a picture this morning ("Camouflaged Betta") of how Martin likes to lie himself flat against the rocks in his tank. This afternoon he was doing the same to the area where the filter box attaches to the Chi. (Picture of the top of the Chi follows, so you can see where I mean....Oh, no. I went to take a picture, and he's back there again.)

Anyway, he was lying against it horizontally earlier today. I left the house and came back two hours later, and he was still in the same place, and he didn't look well. I tried reaching into him...and he was stuck. His tail had gotten stuck in that tight crevice where the filter attaches to the tank. I had to basically push him out, and now his tail is torn and he is absolutely not doing well.

I'm new to bettas, and I don't know if this would have been a problem with another tank, or if they all have something similar where the filter attaches and its this habit that is causing him an issue more than anything. I wanted to let people know, though, because it is definitely something to watch for.
Attached Images

Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #2 
Deanna01

Update. I actually believe he's sick with something, and maybe that is why he is trying to force himself against things. I shined a flashlight on him and see this weird red patch.
Attached Images

Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #3 
isochronism

Another members fish got itself stuck behind the filter recently. It may have been unable to get to the surface for too long, and passed a couple days later. Three weeks ago, my Betta got his tail caught on some Najas Grass and was unable to get to the surface, he was stuck!! He was only there for a couple of minutes. If I was not there to free him, he would have perished. That plant was removed. Who knows why your fish went back there?
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #4 
isochronism

My point being that we should attempt to fish proof (child proof) our tanks. I hope your guy gets better. :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish stuck, fluval chi, problems with fluval chi