Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 AM   #1 
PewPewPew

Question Hm. Thinking of ladies.

Alright, no one jump down my throat on this.

Im not an idiot, dont treat me like one. Dont tell me how awful I am for considering it or some crud, or that I know nothing.

Chances are, Ive commented on your threads and given you at least some/a lot of your info if youre new, so dont be dumb. I know what Im doing, and Im looking for solid, experienced advice or resources on this topic.

Because I know people are gonna jump on me -__-;

I have two five gallon tanks, a hex and a standard shaped one. The hex holds more than five gallons, more like 6-7. Regardless.
I could divide my boys (like it used to be) and free up a tank.

Ive been researching and have found many aquariests with sororities (mini sororities lol) in their 5 gallons. Some members have had success, too. I know it is usually said that 10 is the minimum, however, Ive looked into it and have found consistent results with 5's and 3-4 females, heavily planted. No other tank mates, and Id cycle the tank before hand. My filter is pretty strong and can handle a decent bio load. It'd have mostly live plants, because thats how I do.

It would be heavily (HEAVILY) planted with hiding spots overkill. If I could, Id look for spawn sisters. If it failed, Id separate and return them, no harm done. Id be home all summer, so pft. Ive got time to watch them If any are hurt, Id of course nurse them to health before giving them back to the store. Theyre pretty good about returns.

Im not even sure my mom will allow me to use my second 5 at home, but she very well might, which is why I ask. Im going to look into it more, but Im curious about what others have done and what others who know something about this think.

Sorry for the hostility, but I get jumped on a lot by whiny pantses and I feel like a disclaimer is best, because if you whine, I call a wambulence and yell back. Huurrlol.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #2 
turtle10

In my opinion 5 gallons is okay as long as your are an experienced fish keeper. I don't know you personally but from what I have seen and read on this site I am confident that you know what you are doing. This is definitely not something a beginner should do.

I haven't had personal experience with keeping females in five gallons, but I have heard success stories. I am pretty sure Abby has some females in a five gallon, but I could be totally wrong about that.

To everyone new to fish keeping reading this:
Do NOT try this unless you have a great deal of experience with bettas, water parameters, stocking, etc.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #3 
shinybetta

Definately try for spawn sisters, or the youngest bettas you can find. The older bettas get (if they live their life alone) the more anti-social they become. Make sure to have lots of floating plants to break up the line of site. Generally I don't recommend sororities in under 10 gallons, I think you are experienced enough to handle it. Go with odd numbers, so that way the females don't break of into pairs and fight.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

True... I wonder, though, what would be best in a 5 gallon? 3 ladies, or five? I know that's quite a lot of fish, though. Theyre so small <3

Thanks for the sturdy replies. I was waiting for someone to come around and tell me "nuuu u cant thts not how you do it!1!!eleven!!"

I adore floating plants, so of course I'd have those! Water-line level in the back is also good, I hear.

I think Abby does have them, yes.

A question: I have the aquaculture 5 gallon "starter kit", though the filter is a marineland (puzzling..), and I cant figure out what filter it is, exaclty. I adore marineland products, and I know theyre of quality, but Im curious to see how this sucker's output compares to others. Would you happen to know?

I ask because the minimum 3 females almost seems like a high load for the five, though once cycled and planted/stem planted, it'll be less.

This sums up what mine includes, since Ive seen other kits do not come with the marineland brand filter/hood, instead they come with a brand I dont know:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...nk-vs-lps.html
Old 04-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #5 
laughing

Ok this is my personal opinion:

If you completely cover the whole tank and drape it in plants, rocks, driftwood, etc. and you know FOR SURE they cannot see each other while swimming around stick with 3 fish. This way there's more space for them and they won't "run into" each other quite so often.

If you know it'll be something a tad more open (still hiding space galore but open spots) then I'd go with 5. That way they know there's more and they won't just pick on one. And like another poster said the odd number won't allow them to "gang up".

I really think you can do it. You have a lot of knowledge about bettas and I know you won't throw them in before you go to school and come home with all dead livestock. >.<

I'm starting my first sorority in a 20 gallon with lower quality females. Hopefully I can gain a lot more experience and knowledge in body language and behavior to handle something smaller with more breeder quality girls!

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:14 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

Thank you! I might ask my mom today or at least float the idea by her. Hoping for birthday pity, FTW~
Old 04-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #7 
FuulieQ

As long as you have time to be constantly watching and a backup plan in case things don't work, it seems reasonable to me. :U Since you seem to know your stuff well enuff.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #8 
laughing

I love bday pity :D

I'm asking everyone to get me a betta from Thailand... And more fish supplies... Even though my bday is VERY far in the future! LOL. And maybe sugar gliders?? We'll see ;)

On my wish list:
-55 gallon with stand, hood, and filter
-Bettas!
-More tanks of smaller size
-Aquarium plants (& other items for aquascaping)

We'll see what I get... :P
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #9 
n3wport

I honestly know nothing, and everyone will yell at me, but 5 gallons seems enough space for two or three little girl betta fish. I think it'd be okay. My opinion means like a spec of salt though, LOL! But my view on it, if they are well fed, in clean water, and are in something bigger than agallon than they are okay. My fish is in a 5 gallon and he lived in a cup for 5 months. If betta fish live in tinie cupsfor 5 months a tank would be even better anyway!
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

True, though the issue here is the girls might fight, which is why usually its 10 gallons for a sorority, and even then its tough.

I didnt get the nads to ask today, she was kinda crabby D; Wahhhh. Oh well, Ill ask when I get home, I guess. HEREEESS HOPING :DD