Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #1 
BettaLovesEveryone15

Question Male Betta In Community Of 20+

Me and my roommate have recently bought a 29 gallon fish tank. We have had it for about a month now and i would consider ourselves still pretty amateur, we dont know too much about this stuff yet. However we do have our male betta living with a community of 20+ fish and everyone gets along totally fine. I have searched the internet and can not find anything like this occurring before, especially in such a small tank (29). We have plenty of things in the tank for hiding and stuff. I recently went down to our local river and got some good drift wood and added it. I just want to know if anyone else has done this before. Dont worry i will post pictures once i can get some good ones. But here is everything we have in our 29 gallon tank:

1 male betta
3 Guppies
2 Mollies
5 Neon Tetra
7 Zebra somthing small fish, like neon tetra
2 Clear fish, again dont know name, about inch and half Ghost Catfish
1 Shark, all black, red back fin Red Tailed Shark
1 Shark, All red fins, Grey body maybe called Rainbow Shark?
3 Ghost shrimp
2 bottom feeder fish
1 Pearl Bailey maybe Gouami (sp)
1 Silver Dollar
1 Angle Fish
1 Frog
1 Clown Loach (sp) loch?
1 River Monster, thats what we called it, think its a Plecostomus

But like i said i could not find this happening anywhere els online, and with this small of tank but everyone does fine, no fights ever, it does seem like a lot of fish unless they are all hiding. We have a lot of fake plants, 1 peice of drift wood on bottom, 2 suctioncuped on sides, 1 lava like rock, and 3 plastic store bought cave things. I just want to konw if this is really amazing or if were just lucky. Like i said they have all been living together for about 1 month now. Betta was the first to be put in tank for a couple days. Will post pictures if anyone comments on this, my first post btw. Please give us your feedback!

ps we really want to add one more betta, they look so cool, horrible idea?
BettaLovesEveryone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #2 
Ethan

All I have to say is............. I think you need a 45+ with 33 fish! Gouramis can not go with bettas! They are to much related! if you really want to know why they don't fight is because they're so close together and can't see each other! You, cannot add more bettas since you bought a male.

(ps we really want to add one more betta, they look so cool, horrible idea?)-sounds like you already know its wrong sorry saying all this but it is absolutely the truth....... but you can get more bettas in 2.5+ gallon tanks the bigger the more decorating you can do

Please do more research before adding anything else! And please get a 45+ gallon tank I think you may need a 60. Besides some of those fish do NOT go together.

But besides all that welcome to www.bettafish.com! I hope to see you asking more questions and adjusting your setup.

Last edited by Ethan; 04-21-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 
BabyFishie202

Ethan you dont know if the betta and the gouramis will fight. I have housed a gourami and a betta in a 20 gallon tank and they were perfectly OK. It all depends on the fish
BabyFishie202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sorry...but you are not only overstocked but poorly stocked and its just a matter of time before things go bad and the tank crashes......

You have 5 species alone that will need at least 125gal or bigger and several species that should not be kept together, species that need to be kept in schools, species that have different chemistry needs and the list goes on.......

I strongly suggest that you take all the fish back to the pet shop-do lots of research and start over.......

Welcome to the forum.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFishie202 View Post
Ethan you dont know if the betta and the gouramis will fight. I have housed a gourami and a betta in a 20 gallon tank and they were perfectly OK. It all depends on the fish
So far you have been lucky....its just a matter of time.....you may not see any physical fighting...but the stress level can get to a point that the immune response is compromised and fish start getting sick........Its important to meet the needs of all the fish you keep based on adult size, social needs, chemistry, water temp, territory...etc......
Old 04-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #6 
Ethan

Wow OFL I thought I was being a little big on those tanks 125 gal. is huge! That is way to much for any college room I have heard of! I agree with OFL that you absolutely need to bring them back to to store! BabyFishie202 I have been reading for 2 years straight you cannot keep a betta with a gourami if I didn't know that I would be keeping bettas & gourami together my dad loves those! like OFL said its bound for a fish fight when a betta and a gourami start they never end......why I know this is because bettas & gourami are like the most territorial fish never keep those two together it spells
d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r

OldFishLady-Do you think I did a good job summing it up besides the tank needs I've been learning from you since I entered this forum

Last edited by Ethan; 04-21-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
Wow OFL I thought I was being a little big on those tanks 125 gal. is huge! That is way to much for any college room I have heard of! I agree with OFL that you absolutely need to bring them back to to store! BabyFishie202 I have been reading for 2 years straight you cannot keep a betta with a gammori if I didn't know that I would be keeping bettas & Gammoris together my dad loves those!

OldFishLady-Do you think I did a good job summing it up besides the tank needs I've been learning from you since I entered this forum
You did a good job.....

A couple of those species get over 2ft and bigger....125gal would still be too small...

Also, when I see post like this OP....It remind me of TROLL like behavior....maybe we shouldn't post any more until the OP responds and provides some pic
Old 04-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #8 
Ethan

True.......thank you

2 ft. wow that's long!

Ok, I'll wait until the OP responds
Old 04-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #9 
BettaLovesEveryone15

I have to wait until dark to get some good photos! But i have no idea what a troll is referring to but i am certainly not one! and dont worry when the fish get big hopefully we'll have enough money and have another tank to put them in. I am not trying to be evil, they all really do seem to get along fine. Ill post pictures in 2 hours when its dark. But how do you post pictures on here.. is it easy? and what about video?
BettaLovesEveryone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #10 
Burd

Posting videos has to be done on youtube and you'd link to it in your post.
Pictures can be uploaded when you make a reply.

And while I don't want to add to the chanting, your tank really is over stocked... They might seem okay, but that's all they are - "ok". They're not thriving and they will definitely not be thriving in a few months/years time when they're full grown.

The internet has a general rule of thumb: 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon. This works okay with smaller fish. Once you get to 12"+ you're talking one humongous tank or many large tanks to house all the fish you currently have. At this point, I agree with what OldFishLady said... take them back and start over, especially if you're new to this and just went OMGFISHIMGONNABUYEMALL.

I hope you haven't taken what anyone, including myself, has said as ranting or insulting. I can't speak on anyone else's behalf but.. I do believe all of us here are concerned fish lovers who just want the best for the little fishy people we choose as companions.

----

BTW... a troll on the internet is a person who goes onto a forum or a chat room and makes themselves purposefully into a nuisance and incites flaming, insults, or (what they were assuming in your case) posts an outlandish situation that was meant to stir trouble. If you genuinely came in peace, disregard! But now you know what a 'troll' is. :)

Last edited by Burd; 04-21-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Defining "Troll" :P
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta behavior, betta fish housing tips, compatability