Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #1 
Clee9

Fin rot and cut fins getting worse.

Hello,
I bought my betta fish Sam three weeks ago from a local Pet Co. Sam is a male, half-moon double tail plakat (if that matters.) It was my first time getting a Betta fish since I was a child and it didn't take me long to realize that there was something wrong with his fins. I noticed that pelvic fins had a silverish look to them and after a week I was sure that it grew. So I started to read up online about Betta fish and eventually found out about fin rot. I google imaged pictures of fin rot and it looked exactly like what Sam has.

I found this website http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/finrot.php
and bought the Jungle Fungus eliminator online off of Amazon.

I have followed the instructions and given Sam three treatments (his third yesterday) every fourth day. At 1 teaspoon for the 2.5 gallon tank. However, his fin rot looks like it is getting much worse and I am getting more worried. His bottom fin that is long and connected now has a split in it and the top fins look like they are rotting also.

He has two fake plants and a little rock thing to hang swim around in his tank.

Housing
What size is your tank 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank - Room temperature (no thermometer)
Does your tank have a filter - No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration - No.
Is your tank heated - No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with - None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - I feed him San Francisco Bay Brand Freeze Dried Blood Worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? - Every day, for 6 days, for about 2 minutes or until he doesn't eat the food immediately. I have read that it is good to give them one day off to digest the food. So I don't feed him on the seventh day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change- Right now every four days, the first two times of medicine treatment I did full water changes, this third time just 25% water change.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - Currently Nutrafin Betta Plus water conditioner but I just switched to Top Fin water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed - Yes (explained above)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - He has actually grown fatter and is much more active since I originally bought him from the pet store, regardless of his fin problems.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea.

Last edited by Clee9; 04-17-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Clee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #2 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clee9 View Post
Hello,
I bought my betta fish Sam three weeks ago from a local Pet Co. Sam is a male, half-moon double tail plakat (if that matters.) It was my first time getting a Betta fish since I was a child and it didn't take me long to realize that there was something wrong with his fins. I noticed that pelvic fins had a silverish look to them and after a week I was sure that it grew. So I started to read up online about Betta fish and eventually found out about fin rot. I google imaged pictures of fin rot and it looked exactly like what Sam has.

I found this website http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/finrot.php
and bought the Jungle Fungus eliminator online off of Amazon.

I have followed the instructions and given Sam three treatments (his third yesterday) every fourth day. At 1 teaspoon for the 2.5 gallon tank. However, his fin rot looks like it is getting much worse and I am getting more worried. His bottom fin that is long and connected now has a split in it and the top fins look like they are rotting also.

He has two fake plants and a little rock thing to hang swim around in his tank.

Housing
What size is your tank 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank - Room temperature (no thermometer)
Well what temperature is room temperature?
Does your tank have a filter - No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration - No.
Is your tank heated - No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with - None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - I feed him San Francisco Bay Brand Freeze Dried Blood Worms.
Freeze Dried bloodworms are a treat only. They should only be fed once a week. I suggest a high quality pellet.
How often do you feed your betta fish? - Every day, for 6 days, for about 2 minutes or until he doesn't eat the food immediately. I have read that it is good to give them one day off to digest the food. So I don't feed him on the seventh day.
This is a LOT of food. Bettas should never be allowed to eat until they can't eat anymore. Betta's stomachs are the size of their eye, that is how much they should eat. That equals to about 2-3 pellets.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change- Right now every four days, the first two times of medicine treatment I did full water changes, this third time just 25% water change.
It doesn't help to know the water schedule after you changed it. What is the original schedule?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - Currently Nutrafin Betta Plus water conditioner but I just switched to Top Fin water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed - Yes (explained above)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - He has actually grown fatter and is much more active since I originally bought him from the pet store, regardless of his fin problems.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea.
What was the original water change schedule?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #3 
Clee9

Hey Turtle10,

Thanks for responding,

I don't know what the room temperature is, I don't have a thermometer inside and my apartment is very old so I don't control the heat, there is no thermostat. I live in Chicago and it has gone up and down from 70 degrees outside to 49 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't think that is helpful but I have no way to tell you the room temp right now. When I dip my finger in the water it is cool to the touch, a little cold.

Thanks for the advice on the food. I will cut it down and change to a different type. Originally for the first week that I had Sam I was feeding him the flakey fish food and he would barely eat it. Can I ask why you suggest pellets? I was reading a list of food that Betta's like and are good for them and pellets ranked fairly low. (This was off of a different website and it could be inaccurate though)

The original schedule on the water change was once a week, a full water change.

-C Lee
Old 04-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clee9 View Post
Hey Turtle10,

Thanks for responding,

I don't know what the room temperature is, I don't have a thermometer inside and my apartment is very old so I don't control the heat, there is no thermostat. I live in Chicago and it has gone up and down from 70 degrees outside to 49 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't think that is helpful but I have no way to tell you the room temp right now. When I dip my finger in the water it is cool to the touch, a little cold.

Thanks for the advice on the food. I will cut it down and change to a different type. Originally for the first week that I had Sam I was feeding him the flakey fish food and he would barely eat it. Can I ask why you suggest pellets? I was reading a list of food that Betta's like and are good for them and pellets ranked fairly low. (This was off of a different website and it could be inaccurate though)

The original schedule on the water change was once a week, a full water change.

-C Lee
Okay the tank really needs a heater. The water should never feel cold.

In a 2.5 you should do two 50% and one 100% percent a week. Once you are done treating him continue on this schedule.

Pellets have the most nutrients densely packed of all the foods. You don't need to feed pellets, but that would require a a large variety of frozen and live foods being fed daily. Frozen food and live food are the only foods that rank above pellets. Freeze dried foods are at the bottom. They are like potato chips for fish. Flakes pollute the water, are too large for bettas to bite whole, and are difficult to feed an exact amount.

What website was this? It seems inaccurate because freeze dried should never be fed over pellets.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #5 
Harley

Exclamation

You definitely need a heater (25W) and I'm sure Pet Co. will have a decent selection of them. While there, also pick-up a thermometer you can use to test the water's temp on a regular basis, at least daily. I use a thermometer that came with a suction cup attached to it so I could keep it in the tank and easily read it. Good luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #6 
Silverfang

raising the temperature is important, I even have a 10W in my 2.65 gal, it's at a comfy 76 (even that can be considered on the cool side). A thermometer is a must to accompany it.
Also follow turtles advice on the food, they may love freeze dried, but it's not good for them
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #7 
Clee9

Thanks ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
raising the temperature is important, I even have a 10W in my 2.65 gal, it's at a comfy 76 (even that can be considered on the cool side). A thermometer is a must to accompany it.
Also follow turtles advice on the food, they may love freeze dried, but it's not good for them
Thank you all! I switched to the pellets, and I will head out to the pet store and buy a thermometer and heater.

Do any of you know how long it usually takes fin rot to go away? I wonder how long I should continue this treatment, and if I shouldn't just wait a week and try a different medicine. Do the silver marks on the fins go away? I think I need to do some more reading on this.

Thanks for all of your help!

-C Lee
Old 04-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #8 
vaygirl

If you could get a picture, or even link to a picture that looks similar, that would help a lot.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:31 AM   #9 
Harley

I've heard fin rot can take several weeks to a few months depending how far along the fish was before you began treatment. Harley's at just past a month. I would definitely wait in between medications as you don't want to make him immune to the medication. Be sure to follow the medications directions regarding maximum dosage amounts or time limits. I can't remember if you said but have you tried Aquarium Salt (10 days max)?

Last edited by Harley; 04-22-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:25 AM   #10 
Clee9

Photos of Sam

Hey Vaygirl, yes I will post a few pics I took today.

Harley, thanks for letting me know. The medication I bought (Jungle Fungus Eliminator) does not mention a max dosage time on the bottle. (It says R.I.P. Harley? I am so sorry for your loss )

Here are two photos of Sam from my Flickr, I can't remember how to post the photos directly on here, sorry!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarlo...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarlo.../photostream#/

When you get to the link if you click on the photo it is larger and more detailed.

Thanks,

-C Lee