Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #1 
bythelastlight

sick Betta, may be losing him

My Betta (Lan) was just purchased a week ago from petsmart. He is my first betta. He is being housed in a 1.7 gallon bowl. The temperature in this bowl is around 71. I tried getting a heater but I don't think it is working. The PH and nitrates levels are all fine--PH is even ideal.

I have noticed a few white spots and am treating him with Rid-Ich plus. But his fins also are clumped together and look like he may have fin rot (deterioration of fins). He is floating on his side a lot now and doesn't move around much. Anyone have any advice? Any other medicines I should use that can safely be used with Rid Ich?
bythelastlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems.....

A few questions.....In the 1.75gal tank-how much and how often are you changing the water, filter, live plants, additives used other than the medication, appetite......
You posted that you have a heater...any way you can get the water temp up to about 80F at the least.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #3 
roypattonphoto

yah ideal temp is 78-80*F .....

you say he is floating on his side, does he look bloated? if so could be Swimmers Bladder..

also is your water treated for the betta .. like BettaSafe Fiz Tablets or something simlar to make the water betta safe..

also 1.7g how ofter are u doing water changes? you should be doing 50% a day or 100% everyday , ammonia build up can happen fast..
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #4 
bythelastlight

He has no live plants yet and I have done a full water change once since getting him and a partial change 2 times with this medicine. I have also vacuumed his rocks with one of those aquarium vacs. I have one of the topfin betta water conditioners and have been using that.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Right now I would get the water temp up......personally I would stop the medication and start him on aquarium salt 2tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes in a small QT container for at least 10 days

Pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add 2tsp/gal of salt and tannins (either IAL or dried Oak leaf) shake well before use and use this water for the 100% daily water changes

Make sure the water temp of the treatment water is within a couple of degrees of the QT water with water changes by checking it with the thermometer

You can float him in his QT container in his heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 80F area-be sure and attach the QT to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink-cover the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap to maintain warm humid air above the water for the labyrinth organ and feed small frequent meals of a high protein food......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #6 
bythelastlight

I bought him a 5 gallon tank that has a filter and light and a heater with an adjustable thermostat which I am setting to 80. I have put the aquarium salt in and am hoping for the best. I plan to try to acclimate him slowly. I also got an ammonia alert thing to keep in the tank that says that there is no ammonia in the water and the PH is about 7.0 still. I will let you know how he does! Thanks for all the input everyone. Any more ideas will also be appreciated.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #7 
iheartmybettas

Good luck! I hope he gets better!

Just follow OFLs directions and he should be good to go
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:58 AM   #8 
turtle10

Can you answer the questions about your water change schedule? It would help to know the cause of his illness so you can prevent it in the future?

How often did you change the water in the original tank?

How much water did you change?

Did you use conditioner?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finrot, ich, sick, swimbladder