Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #51 
jschristian44

well i want them to spawn. i know they are able to spawn, why cant i do it. all the pros on here, what is going wrong, its really annoying me.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #52 
turtle10

It might just be something you are doing. I know it is annoying, but it is not the fish's fault, so don't take it out on them by giving them away or selling them or something.

Being able to breed any animal is a huge privilege, we are basically playing god and creating life using THEIR bodies for OUR pleasure. I truly think that your head and heart need to be in the right place, and it doesn't seem like yours is if all you want to do is just breed them. What is your reasoning for breeding?

I am sure you have answered this before, but where will all the fry go?

For example, my reason for breeding my fish is to be able to raise a Betta from fry-hood to adulthood and KEEP it. I didn't breed because it would be something cool to see. I don't think it is right to make two creatures reproduce just for pleasure.

I am sure you have answered this before, but what homes will the fry go to?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #53 
beat2020

Ok try this....

1), Actually and PROPERLY condition the pair with heated tanks,100% water changes EVERYDAY, and feed them high quality foods 2-3 times a day for 2 weeks. That's it and no exceptions really...If you don't have the patience to properly condition your pair the you won't have the patience to spawn and raise the fry.

2) Get a smaller tank as a spawning tank...5 gallons will be fine. Add plenty of IAL ,java moss, and a nest site. When you introduce the pair leave the female in her jar for AT LEAST 24 hours.

If you don't get the fish to spawn by doing that then I can't really tell you what you're doing wrong. And like I said before, if you don't have the patience to condition, properly set up your spawning tank etc, then you really shouldn't be spawning...
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #54 
jschristian44

i have homes and everything ready for the fry. i just want to see babies and raise them. i am doing everything right, but there has to be one thing terribly wrong that they will not embrace. i followed the instructions note by note, and have the 10 gallon tank, almond leaves, 6 inch water level, hiding places, lid for bubble nest, jar for protection, etc etc. there just has to be one thing wrong and i cannot for the life of me figure this out!~
Old 04-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #55 
jschristian44

can i condition the male in teh spawning tank or will that tell him its alright to eat the eggs.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #56 
1fish2fish

You need to condition them. For 2 weeks... no matter how "ready" they look obviously they are not ready or they would be spawning. They need to be conditioned in warm water around 76-78*F and they need daily water changes and live and or frozen foods.

After that introduce them into the tank and cover it, don't keep checking on them and keep the lights down low. They should spawn.

Like I have said before though, there have been pairs that have lived in the spawn tank for up to 7 days before ever spawning. You need to be patient.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #57 
jschristian44

man o day, why do all my fish hate this frozen brine shrimp. i thought they would have liked it but they eat and spit it right back out. thats 30 dollars down the drown for 2 lbs of frozen brine shrimp i threw it away. i wish i had gotten the bloodworms instead, they like the freeze dried ones. can i condition them on pellets and freeze dried bloodworms and flaked food 2-3 times a day?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #58 
jschristian44

maybe my light is too bright? it's a really really bright light. does that turn them off? maybe that was my problem all along.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #59 
jschristian44

i think my whole problem was the light thing. i just found out they dont like bright lights when spawning. i mean who wants to mate with bright lights on. the classic way is dim lights and privacy. i put a towel over the tank and put a desk lamp on. i am going to see if this helps.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #60 
JKfish

If you actually read info, it's probably not the lights. Live and frozen is what you feed with. Freezedried are like potato chips for fish.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote