Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2011, 12:31 AM   #1 
Pekemom

Need Photography Tips, Please!

I generally take good pictures, and have many shots that are really good. But I'm having trouble taking good shots of Brooke, my CT betta. The camera focuses on the 'first thing it sees' - and that's the tank glass, not my fish!!

I've seen some amazing fish pics on this forum. Any tips for me? I do have a macro setting on my camera (it's a SLR Nikon) - but nothing seems to work very well...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #2 
DarkMoon17

If you turn the lights off around the tank and just leave the light in the tank on, I find that helps. Also, if you take the shot at a bit of an angle, it helps the flash bounce away instead of right back into the camera. Hope that helps :)
-DM17
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #3 
nowzem

You may already know this, but putting the lens right up to the glass (at an angle or directly on) always helps me (especially with the flash). Fool around with different settings...I got great results with the" portrait" setting and so-so results with my macro setting, although when photographing butterflies, nothing works like macro (manual focus) for me...
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #4 
Pekemom

Thanks, Dark Moon!! I'll try your techniques tomorrow...
Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #5 
AngelicScars

what lens are you using?
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:57 AM   #6 
Pekemom

I'm using the lens that came with the camera (Nikon DX). 18-55mm..I'm going to try Nowzem's suggestions tomorrow (got too busy today to shoot). thanks all for your advice!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #7 
Abby

I have a special small tank to hold the fish while i photograph. they can hide and move too fast in their tanks. Usually ill move them into the photo tank and let them settle for 4-5 minutes and stop stressing. Unless im in a tad of a rush or they are ok. sometimes then stress a lot other times they are fine. then theres 17 different takes on being photographed and each fish needs a different trick ie raynes happy to be left alone and just photographed. melvin likes to nip my finger while the bf takes the pics
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #8 
CyerRyn

Someone posted once (Don't remember what thread it was or who mentioned it) but that putting your camera on the "flower" setting (on my camera it's shaped like a flower idk what the setting is actually called) it can sometimes help. I was having horrible blurry pics until I started using this setting. Now they *for the most part* come out clear.. especially if I have water streaks on the tank -.-;.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #9 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyerRyn View Post
Someone posted once (Don't remember what thread it was or who mentioned it) but that putting your camera on the "flower" setting (on my camera it's shaped like a flower idk what the setting is actually called) it can sometimes help. I was having horrible blurry pics until I started using this setting. Now they *for the most part* come out clear.. especially if I have water streaks on the tank -.-;.

Macro setting
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #10 
AngelicScars

That's the same zoom lens I have, I haven't had problems with it though. :/
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote