Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #1 
Sweeda88

How often/much to feed my Mystery Snail?

How often do they need to be fed, and how much should I expect to feed him? I know they need a diet high in calcium. Right now I'm just feeding romaine, but I'll be picking up some kale and spinach on Wednesday. Also, so me cucumbers. Thanks.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Anyone?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #3 
Shayna09

As far as I know, feed him what he will eat. Blanch some zucchini or kale, etc. and put a small bit in his tank. When he finds it, he will start eating, and he will stop when he is full, then come back for more later. If you find it isn't getting eaten up within an hour or so, take it out and feed a bit less next time.

If I am wrong someone please correct me, I have never had a mystery snail before, just going on what I have heard around.
Shayna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

Thanks. He actually died today, probably from the injuries he got when my Betta attacked him. I will be getting a new one tomorrow after I bring him back to PetSmart. They have a 14 day guarantee. I'm also going to get an additional snail. Don't worry, I'm not putting them with my Betta again. They're going in their own tank together.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Mine love collard greens,spinach, carrots, romaine lettuce, algae wafers, and corydora shrimp pellets. I normally feed him every other day or every couple of days. I am not sure if that is the proper amount to feed but my snail is pretty lively and seems happy.I would love to have a tank just for snails one day.I am sorry your snail died.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #6 
Sweeda88

Thanks. I'm getting 2 new ones today. These ones will never see the inside of a Betta fish tank, just their own, so I'm hoping they'll live longer.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #7 
Malvolti

Sorry about your snail.

I've been having to feed mine 1/2 an algae wafer a day with the occasional leafy green. However despite getting more than enough sun no algae grows in my tank and my plants are growing like mad so there really isn't much in the way of alternate food. Over the last week he's grown quite a bit, he's added almost 1/2 an inch to his shell so he must be doing okay.

In the past I've had trouble with apple snails aswell. For some reason they don't acclimate fast or well with my water. I first acclimated the same way I would a fish but as soon as I added him to the tank he hid in his shell for 4 days excreting mucous. He eventually died from Betta harassment/lack of acclimation.

My current snail I spent most of a day acclimating him to my water before releasing him and he still spent 2 days in his shell excreting mucous. The betta he's with though ignores him so he self-acclimated in peace and now spends the majority of his time trying to squeeze into small spaces.

Anyways, be sure to acclimate thouroughly. start with more food than you think is enough, if there is leftovers try a little less. If it's all gone fast try a little more. It's all trial and error.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #8 
Sweeda88

Thanks. I got 2 new snails today. The lady at PetSmart said they need temps of 78-80* (which I don't have a heater for since they aren't going in my Betta tanks), but I've always read that they do better at room temperature. Will they be okay?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, I'm sorry about your snail.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
Thanks. I got 2 new snails today. The lady at PetSmart said they need temps of 78-80* (which I don't have a heater for since they aren't going in my Betta tanks), but I've always read that they do better at room temperature. Will they be okay?
Yeah that is fine. I have a mystery snail in my cherry shrimp tank and it fluctuates from 70-72 degrees, no heater. He used to be the size of a blueberry and now he is more like the size of a golf ball, so I think he is doing fine :)

By the way, he LOVES broccoli so you could try that too. The "leaves" of the broccoli are eaten first, and then the "trunk".
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote