Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #21 
kpullen89

Whoa, I'm not getting dramatic here, just making a comment. I simply don't agree with what certain people have said and I have the right to post that. :)
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #22 
bearwithfish

this is the kind of thing that makes me truly dislike txt!!! one word in a varying context has created a debate that is truly foolish IMO.... run of the mill - defined as ordinary and common... no one was being derogatory and yet many participants feel they need to make a small contribution regarding a word and this turns into a larger argument.... you fish is very pretty and no one argues that point .... and just for the fun of my typical statements if you felt like something off was said why would you give any one on the internet the power to make you respond? hmm? come on folks you all know where i am going with this ..... back to the topic at hand i could not follow your link but looked up the fish in question and they are very beautiful....tell usmore about them....
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #23 
nowzem

Sorry, I feel that the thread has gotten snarky and was kind of avoiding it!

I'm disappointed I did the link incorrectly so it's no longer permanent! I really don't know much about the Feathertails othen than they are an extreme form of the Rosetail and that they are difficult to breed because they often are so mutated that they ha e difficulty swimming and other mutations, such as irregular scales and miniature fins! Unfortunately, this is the price bettas have to pay for us to develop new strains.
However, if they can ever get the" kinks" worked out (and remember that all of our bettas are 'unnatural') I think these fish are gorgeous and would love to own a healthy and happy one!

Can you guys see this one?

Notice the extensive rays in the fins (resembling feathers), and also the stinted/small tail fin.

Now looking at this white betta (which looks more like a 'plain' rosetail, because I can't see the feathers) you can see how difficult it looks like it must be for him to swim!

nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #24 
tokala

So, do many people get upset about this trait because it makes their tails so heavy and thus harder to swim? Or is there another genestic issue with it? Just curious, I have heard a lot of ranting about rosetails though I think they are beautiful.
My new boy, Chester, is just a HM. However his fins are HUGE. And honestly, I feel sorry for him. I thought it was just pretty and that I would love it. But he doesn't even move like a betta should. I had to take him out of my divided 10 Gal because even the slightest current would bother him.
Attached Images

tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #25 
nowzem

I think its multiple factors. I read that the genes/traits that cause branching, also cause short ventral fins and" poorosetails, not to mention the difficulty you noticed in your own betta. All that excess finnage really makes it hard for them to act" normally"

I found this awesome article talking about breeding rosetails.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #26 
nowzem

Your orange guy is a beauty btw! <3
Old 04-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #27 
tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowzem View Post
Your orange guy is a beauty btw! <3
Thanks for the article (that explains it all) and the compliment!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #28 
tracyalexa

Just to clarify...I'm not offended & I was joking when I responded. Text can be read wrong. I didn't LOVE that comment but I get it...and understand it. Back to your regularly scheduled program. ;)
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #29 
iheartmybettas

I think rosetails and feathertails are beautiful. I have a HM that I believe is a rosetail but he trimmed his own fins because it is just so heavy. He still has difficulty maneuvering compared to my others. I think it just makes their tails way to much for them to swim comfortably. It is beautiful though.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #30 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokala View Post
So, do many people get upset about this trait because it makes their tails so heavy and thus harder to swim? Or is there another genestic issue with it? Just curious, I have heard a lot of ranting about rosetails though I think they are beautiful.
My new boy, Chester, is just a HM. However his fins are HUGE. And honestly, I feel sorry for him. I thought it was just pretty and that I would love it. But he doesn't even move like a betta should. I had to take him out of my divided 10 Gal because even the slightest current would bother him.
That's why I try to avoid breeding fish with outrageously long or heavy fins. A halfmoon can be bred to standard without being overly dramatic to the point where he can't swim. I'm of the opinion that caudal fins should be no more than 60% of the body length (standard calls for at least 50%). There's some fish where the caudal is almost as long as the fish itself.

I also think working on body shape is a big help in that dept. A thicker body will have the strength to hold up those fins. That's why I love Martinismommy's line so much. Not only are her fish not too finny but they're THICK. None of them have issues swimming, even under a soft current.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote