Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #1 
LittleNibbles93

NOOO! D: He ripped his tail...

Sunkist had BEAUTIFUL new fin growth going on, his tail was a whole half-inch longer. Then he goes and rips it :C On what I'm not sure.

Since I put him in the 1.5, he's been fine, but the past 2 days he decided to make the filter his "cave". No, we're not gonna do that, it may be air-pump powered, but we ain't doing that. So I put a old coffee mug in. Things were fine after that, I also lowered the water since I noticed it was to high with the filter.

I guess he still wanted into the filter and tried jumping, and might've ripped his tail that way. Its not very bad, just the new growth is tattered now.

BAD FISHY.
I'm mad at him now, and he seems to know it.

Something new to add, while typing this thread, I looked over at his tank, and I caught him swimming against the filter current, preparing to jump into the filter. I caught you red-handed! Er...red-finned! >:D That filter is coming OUT.

I now get the joy of treating two fish for fin damage :/
Cheddar is looking better, the medicine is working. I use Melafix Fish First Aid D: I probably should be using something else, but it works. Cheddar's giant rip in his tail is slowly growing back, and he's not changed his behavior or coloring.

If you recommend a different med over Melafix, let me know. I've got spare money to buy some online.

Update/Edit: I've decided not to medicate him right away. :B I'll watch him for a few days. Doing a 100% water change right now instead.

Last edited by LittleNibbles93; 04-22-2011 at 04:23 PM.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Dang...... Bettas can sure keep us on our toes.......

Sometimes in the smaller volume tanks the filter or water flow from the filter can be the cause of fin damage.....often, especially with the long heavy fin males...removing the filter all together and just making water changes are the best...that being 1-50% and 1-100% a week without a filter and twice weekly 50% with a filter.....

Right now....IMO/E...the very best treatment for fresh fin damage is water changes....fresh-dechlorinated like temp water from daily water changes can help prevent secondary infection and promote healing.....usually a couple of daily 50% and then 100%...repeat for about a week is all that is needed to get them on the road to healing....

Also, nutrition is really important- by feeding high protein small frequent meals and if you have live foods....all the better...mosquito larva, guppy fry...both great sources of protein to promote healing and a strong immune response......

Careful with the Melafix it can sometimes cause damage to the labyrinth organ...be sure to lower the water level and keep the top open for good air flow.......

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #3 
LittleNibbles93

Oooh, really? Melafix can do that? D: Meeps. I hate meds that do that.

I'll give Sunkist daily water changes, I took the filter out and have put it away. I'm hopeing his fins grow back and nothing happens.

I have a question about Cheddar, his fins were ripped when I bought him, but its not fin rot. Should I do the same thing for him as Sunkist? 80% of of his tail is gone, and its short. The tips of his fins look either fried or crimpled up. He's been that way since I got him. He's colored up, is alittle active, and eats normal. I've been using the Melafix on him for about a week now with daily water changes. His tail looks like it might be having some new growth. Is there anything else I can do for him?
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Fresh water is the best medication.....it should work for the other Betta too...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote