Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #1 
CyerRyn

Filter issues

This is the first time I've ever set up a filter, and these ones are used. I'm not quite sure what it's suppose to sound like, but every time I plug it in it growls at me. It doesn't spurt out any water. (I have a whisper 10 and a Top-fin 10 that I'm trying to get to work) What am I doing wrong?
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #2 
roypattonphoto

Some filters require u to pour a little water in he top of the filter to help with the moving of the water....
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #3 
CyerRyn

I tried that, they both still growl at me. Am I suppose to like.. overflow it?
Old 04-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #4 
roypattonphoto

Nah u shouldn't have to.. put water into it all the way up.. if it doesn't push water through then,means the pump is malfunctioning and u need to take it bac.. a lot of times the gears wil grind off on the wheel near the paddles that push the water .. and that's growling sound
Old 04-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #5 
roypattonphoto

Also if the input has multi section pipe make sure all sections are underwater .. any exposed section if it oesnt couple right could hider the suction process
Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #6 
CyerRyn

Well these two filters are used, they've been in storage a while and I was hoping I'd be able to spare them to avoid yet another thing I'd need to buy so taking them back is an impossibility. :P I'll try cleaning them up a bit more and add some more water. I have the water in the tank about 1 1/2 inch from the top so I'll see if that's the problem.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #7 
roypattonphoto

Another thing to look at if u can see the paddles pull off the paddle see if the rubber is still on the top of the drive.. could be worn off .. if that's the ase u might be able to use some tape or something to replace the rubber.. but for ome reason ur just not creating the suction needed
Old 04-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #8 
CyerRyn

I poured some more water in it and it started working! Took it 30 seconds to go though but it's functioning. Yay! Thx for all your help, hope its the same issue with the 2nd filter cuz now I know how these ones work.