Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #1 
Neil D

Angry Stupid Tetras!

My poor betta Josh is getting his fins nipped by those stupid tetras. He was just minding his own business and BAM. torn fin I'm soooooooooo mad! Now poor Josh has be in a small container floating in the tank for their evilness! GRRRR! I said cardinals were good tank mates in other posts. THEY ARE NOT! Poor Josh.... Has this ever happened to anyone else? How did you correct it?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #2 
JKfish

Neil, don't be mad at the tetras. It must be assumed that something can go wrong. Everyone has different ammounts of sucess with tank mates, seeing as each fish will have different personalities. Your tetras might need more room, they might just think of him as another schoolmate (the pecking order in schools can be rather rough and full of nips). They are okay tank mates, but for the most part, the only tank mates that are "fool proof" in that they won't attack the betta (you'll never really know if the betta will attack them) would be snails, sometimes ghost shrimps, cories, and ottos. All of them are extremely shy, out of the way sort of tank mates. With more active tank mates that are as spunky as tetras it can never be assumed that they will never do something that might stress/hurt your betta.

Also, did you see them bit his tail? or are you just assuming?

Last edited by JKfish; 04-24-2011 at 05:41 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #3 
Neil D

I saw it. They were pecking at eachother, then one of them went for Josh! Why? How can I make it safe for all of them? If not, I can return the tetras. Because theyre all healthy and active, and my lfs takes fish back. Thx
Old 04-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #4 
JKfish

That's just how they act. They probably just think of him as another schooling fish. Since you saw they were pecking at themselves, it's not like they were just targeting him. You could try again, but you'd be risking biting. There's no real way to stop it. If they were in a larger tank where Josh could get away and out of their sight, that'd probably decrease the likelyhood of him being nipped. 6 tetras plus betta in a 10 gallon means if there's going to be nipping, there's no real way to stop it.

You can return them, and then you have a lot of options. Josh could be king of a 10 gallon, or you could try maybe 4 cory cats, or dividing the tank for another betta ;)
Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #5 
Neil D

Right now he's in a jar floating in the tank. It's secure, dont worry. Hmmm, maybe returning is a good idea. I don't think I'll get any tank mates. *sighs* I'll check with my dad. Thx for your help.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

IMO/E, bettas really ARE better off alone - they either get bullied or ARE bullies!!! :(

Sorry about his fins.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #7 
Neil D

Yeah. Starting to think so. Can I put a 50 W heater in a 2 gal bowl? Or will it overheat/malfunction?
Old 04-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

That is a lot of wattage for 2 gals. You could try it by setting it to it's lowest setting & monitor the temp. Sorry I can't be more help!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #9 
Neil D

Just a question out of curiosity. Thx for all your guys' help.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #10 
JKfish

a 50 watt would be fine for a time, since it only activates when the water is cool, but I'd keep an eye on it until you can find a better fitting in terms of wattage.

And I agree. Tankmates never seem to work long term for most people.