Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #11 
Maryrox247

Personally i have had NO problems in housing neon tetras and bettas together. I actually RECOMMEND it. Not only are they a beautiful addition to the aquarium but are also some of the hardiest fish i have taken care of and RARELY fin nip if at all.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #12 
Neil D

@ maryrox,

Yeah! They do get along. Cardinals seem a bit heartier and a smidge larger. Their red stripe also goes all the way to the mouth.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #13 
baylee767

Maybe I'll consider cardinals than =D
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #14 
Neil D

Yeah, but remember to get 5+, as they are schooling fish...I have 6. And introduce the betta(s) after the cardinals are in the tank for a week or so... Good Luck!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #15 
smellsfishie

I agree to give the bristlenose pleco a try! I have 2, one albino and one regular... they are so neat! And they keep the tank all sparkly! :) They get along fine with bettas. My albino I've had since 2009 so he is full grown at about 5 inches. My other one is still a baby. Also, I have housed bettas with smaller fish such as endlers livebearers, threadfin rainbows, and yes even my albino pleco when he was so small he could fit inside my bettas mouth... but my bettas never tried to eat/kill any of the smaller fish. As long as the small fish can swim faster than the betta, it will be fine. I think platies are also a good choice for bettas. I had tons before when I had a 55 gallon, and a few 10 gallons going... they got along with bettas and never nipped (except maybe 1 little jerk if I recall- who I returned to the pet store). My bettas also did not mind them.
Pic spam for convincing:
Eli the betta ignoring Waldo the albino baby pleco on the leaf. (Waldo started off 1/2 that size, LITERALLY, and was also ignored then...)

Next pic, 1 1/2 years later- still doing fine together. :)

And lastly, Waldo the pleco with my new Betta Oscar- also doing just fine. :) (RIP Eli)
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #16 
Neil D

The pleco looks evil... haha
Old 04-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #17 
smellsfishie

He is evil looking :) But a total fraidy cat. Loves his treasure chest. He never lets it go unless I am out of the room. :P He sees me coming and quickly squishes himself in it. I once transferred him from 1 tank to another by just picking up the treasure chest... he never let go.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #18 
Neil D

Lol! That's funny.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #19 
smellsfishie

haha :) It is! He thinks no one can see him there. He's been hiding there since he was teensy tiny... At one point it was a great hiding spot... now, not so much. I really want to get rid of it too but I won't do it. He's so in love with that thing, it would break his heart if I took it away. And, another funny fact... He had access to a much larger, darker, cooler hiding spot before, and never ever used it. Loves that dang treasure chest. Weirdo.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #20 
smellsfishie

The other bristlenose pleco I have is much much much more social, and does not try to hide when he/she sees me. Then again, he/she is also much younger, and Waldo was a bit less shy as a young'n. Anyway, long story short, they make good betta buddies :D