Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

Silk plants you guys recommend? Maka's destroying her's.

So my fish is a bigger idiot. She's begun to tear apart her silk plant. It's beginning to be frayed and I caught her just as she moved away from the one she was tearing apart. I'm worried she's eating it.

Have any of your betta's done that? I plan on replacing it with the same one but I want to know what you guys recommend. They need to be tall so she can rest on it.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #2 
baylee767

I reccomend live plants if she's tearing up silk plants- I've never heard of this, but my silk plants are all frayed 0.0 Wow, didn't realize Bettas did this. But if you're worried I'd definatly put in live ones (if you don't have the right lights you could just put in java ferns/anubias)
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

I would get a live plant except my dad has put the only live plant we had avalible for her tank in a jar and put non-aquarium safe plant food in it. I can't put it in and because she's so shy she needs a hiding spot. I was thinking of getting more decor for her tank to keep her from getting bored.

The thing is she's doing this to one particular plant. Her green one that's been in the tank since before I got her has been left alone.

EDIT: This is the plant.

Last edited by Arashi Takamine; 04-22-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #4 
roypattonphoto

i have to agree, your betta will just continue, switch to a live plants if your betta is all nom nom ...

ps are u sure your feeding your betta? i mean come on its eating the silks lol ... jk jk
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

She only recently began doing this and I'm not even sure if she's just catching on it as she rests on it and plays around in it constantly including ducking into it whenever she's startle or tired. Or if it's just faulty and fraying on it's own. I'm going to take a look at the price of live plants like a moss ball or Java moss but I'm just worried my dad will go off on another stupid tirade on the aquarium plant food for it....T-T; I'd rather take my chances with a fake plant. From what it looks like on the second leaf it looks like it's been unraveling on it's own with some help from her being curious.

PS: I wouldn't be surprised if I had to up her feedings considering how often she comes up to the glass to beg for food even after she's been fed.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #6 
denaliwind

I'm not understanding what the ordeal with your dad and live plants is. >.<;
He doesn't want you to have them? He's wants the plants to be healthy so he uses fertilizer? I'm confused. :P Tell your dad there are lots of different aquarium plant fertilizers on the market that are safe for fish. On a different note, anubias is such an awesome plant, it's one of my favorites, so easy to grow and they seem to do really well.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 AM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

My dad thinks that if the plant is yellowing even a tiny bit despite the green on it something MUST be wrong and he proceedes to drive everyone MAD. That fight me and him had last month was because he did that to the bamboo plant that was meant to be in Maka's tank and he killed it. He doesn't get that we bought those plants for our fish not him. He really was just...Ugh! He's going on about filters now too....I learned to only speak with mom exclusively about what to do plant wise food wise ect. The only thing I can tell my dad is what they're up to like bubble nest making.

I might get Java moss and a moss ball. I always did like Java moss.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:59 AM   #8 
TheKingsFish

Try hornwort: it's a floating plant that feeds voraciously on any nitrogen in the tank, multiplies like crazy and is virtually indestructible. As it grows thicker it will also provide your betta with hiding places close to the surface. Not even high concentrations of salt kill this stuff. We've tried. Fair warning: it does shed its nettles everywhere, so regular vacuuming of your substrate is advisable.

Last edited by TheKingsFish; 04-23-2011 at 06:01 AM. Reason: there was more
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #9 
Silverfang

I've noticed my boy picking at the leaves of the silk plants, it's like he's looking for food. Of course he's smart enough to keep trying to nibble on the roots of the live plants.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

Unfortunatly Maka's intelligence is still being questioned as it takes her a half an hour to eat brine shrimp and stares at new food for ten minutes before splashing at it to eat it. We're convinced she's getting smarter but this silk plant thing is making me wonder...

We're considering live plants though. Long as she can hide in them easily without getting tangled.