Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #21 
demonr6

Whoa.. I just looked more closely at the ghosts in my nano tank.. their little arms where the pincers are, they have a colored band that is red / orange maybe. It is definitely colored though in that shade. That isn't one of these offending shrimp in question is it?
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #22 
shinybetta

Some ghost shrimp have red on their arms, but if they have red claws then it is most likely a macrobrachium. Although, there are some macrobrachium that are almost impossible to tell from a ghost shrimp.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #23 
demonr6

Oh, good.. this shrimp will live to see another day. Unless of course it dies on it's own then nothing I can do for it.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #24 
thatgirl

LOL!!! I had the same thing happen to me and both of my shrimp went bye-bye.
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #25 
demonr6

Well, I had bought five last Sunday.. the lady who was handling them dropped one on the counter as she was transferring it and it turned into a five minute ordeal to pick it up and bag it. I am going to make an educated assumption that the shrimp that died later that day was that same shrimp. The next day I could tell things were not good.. lost another that evening. Throughout the week I noticed they really were not that active or eating much. Lost another on Thursday.. and then there were three. Came home this afternoon to find another belly up so down to two now. I know that they are not treated in the best conditions since they are intended as feeder fish and I have read on a couple of forums that you have to buy a load of them and just to get a few survivors which is the case with the only two ghosts I have. I had ten at one point and I am now down to two who happily coexist with Dante and a crew of olive nerites in my 6.6 bookshelf. Unless of course they are dead too, I don't check on them much since they are always hiding under the log.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #26 
tracyalexa

poor shrimpy.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #27 
ktrain13

demonr6 - That's a lot of shrimp. I've only gone through two (I've only had my fish since January) but neither died of natural causes. My first lasted a month or so before it got stuck in my filter and died one night. It was so tiny...it never stood a chance. My second one was bigger but sadly only survived about 30 minutes as my betta, who is usually docile and hardly flairs, brutally attacked it. Needless to say, no more companion shrimp for Poseidon.
ktrain13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #28 
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GienahClarette View Post
I look over to Sir Crispin's tank just a few minutes ago to spy my male shrimp clamping onto my halfmoon's tail while the fish desperately tried to shake him off. I felt completely like

The only reason why I haven't taken that ghost shrimp out of the tank right now is because I'm moving and the net is at my new place. The other two shrimp (females) are much nicer, and they get to stay. But...

Tomorrow, that shrimp is gonna die. It's going to be like

OMG LOL that was way way to funny
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #29 
Mac Myers

Correct on the Macrobrachium. Ghost Shrimp ( commonly Palaemonetes paludosus) are a small long arm shrimp that don't attack anything and would easily be shaken by a Betta. They may be aggressive when it comes to stealing food, but they do not get much over 1.5 inches (3.81 cm). If it's larger... then it's Macrobrachium (commonly dayanum) in the pet trade. The are meaner than snakes and will kill anything that they can get their claws on. And they are diurnal and will catch sleeping animals at night. I hate them.
Mac Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #30 
Littlebittyfish

Haha..Those Gif's made me lol. (everyone turned to look at the crazy lady laughing at her laptop)

I had a few true ghosties that hung off my betta..ripped his back fin all to heck...They all died off though after a week..I only have 1 left. He is a cute little ghost shrimp though..He follows the corydoras around all day.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote