Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #1 
briser

Live plant turning brown..

I bought a live plant which I have been told is Moneywort (it matches pictures I've found online). A lot of the leaves have been turning brown and are very easy to come off.. I have it fully submersed. I use liquid fertilizer and keep a daily 12 hour light on / 12 hour light off cycle. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Also it grows really fast so I've been trimming it but trimming it doesnt seem to be hurting it.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #2 
AkiGari

I am experiencing the same type of issue with one of my live plants. Does it spread, or is it normal to plant growth, much like a tree shedding it's needles?
AkiGari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

The leaves are turning brown and the leaves easily come off? Or the brown on the leaves can be wiped off. I get brown leaves sometimes, but it's diatoms which easily be wiped off and the leaf underneath is still green. Diatoms aren't harmful, but mostly are the signs of a young cycled tank.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #4 
luluo

Did you just get it recently? Some plants will melt while they are acclimating. Also, make sure you have enough light for moneywort. ETA: I did some searching and it says 2 watts per gallon or more.

Last edited by luluo; 04-23-2011 at 03:04 PM.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #5 
ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by luluo View Post
Did you just get it recently? Some plants will melt while they are acclimating. Also, make sure you have enough light for moneywort. ETA: I did some searching and it says 2 watts per gallon or more.
As luluo had said, some plants will melt while they are acclimating because a lot of big chain store grows there plants emerse, above the water line, so when they become fully submerge their old leaf starts to die off, if this is the case then the best thing to do is to clip off the dying leaf and allow new ones to grow, I'm not sure if Moneywort works this way, but almost every plant does.

If that isn't the issue then maybe its your lights. And the watts per gallon rule is an old means of light measurement that has been long thrown away because it is inaccurate as there's too many types of lights out there, incandescent (bad for plants), T12, T8, T5, etc. Maybe the best way to address this issues is to ask, What is your lighting fixture?
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote