Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Poolfilter sand questions

I plan on changing the sand substrate in my tanks eventually..I am thinking pool filter "sand" may be the way to go...The sand I have now is very fine and it is making everything in my tank look "dusty"...Does anyone use Pool fitler sand in their tanks? Will it mess up my cycled tank if I decided to change it all out at once..or should I do half the tank a week.Does anyone have any brand recommendations?
Also.
..Does anyone know if pool filter sand will be okay for corydoras?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #2 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I plan on changing the sand substrate in my tanks eventually..I am thinking pool filter "sand" may be the way to go...The sand I have now is very fine and it is making everything in my tank look "dusty"...Does anyone use Pool fitler sand in their tanks? Will it mess up my cycled tank if I decided to change it all out at once..or should I do half the tank a week.Does anyone have any brand recommendations?
Also.
..Does anyone know if pool filter sand will be okay for corydoras?
I just bought some filter sand from my lfs. I felt it and though it is not fine like typical aquarium salt, it still feels smooth and soft. The sand "granules" or whatever they are called lol are just a bit bigger. I have 7 albino cories that will be using it, and I think they will be just fine.

I am really not sure about the cycle though.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #3 
iheartmybettas

I use pool filter sand in my African cichlid tanks. They like to dig around like cories so I bet it will be fine for them. We got ours at Leslies pool supply. They also have it at home depot. As for disturbing the cycle, I don't think it should since you aren't replacing your filter or anything. I haven't ever done it though so I am not positive.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Thanks you all!
I might see what home depot has sometimes this week....I know a lot of people use the quikrete play sand...but..Has anyone used the quikrete brand of pool filter sand with any luck?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote