Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #1 
Landon21
Banned

seeing each other stressful?

Im conditioning my plakat pair and have their holding containers right text to each other. I see alot of people do this with their bettas and have heard others say that this would be stressful to the bettas, is this true?
Landon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #2 
Luimeril

it's stressful if they can see each other all the time, for most bettas. imo, it depends on the betta. my HMPK, Theo, and my Delta, Ichi, are good examples. Theo, being partly blind, can't see very much, so he can't quite see Ichi, who's a few inches away from his tank. sometimes, he'll catch a glimpse, but still can't tell it's another betta. Ichi, however, doesn't mind Theo at all, not even when Theo wiggles excitedly after catching a glimpse of Ichi. if they were stressed about it, i'd be able to tell(i'm sure Ichi, being a delta, would chomp his tail like Dante used to, if he were stressed). but, some bettas, get stressed out if they gotta look at another betta as much as Ichi has to look at Theo.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

When I condition for breeding I like to keep the pair in a location so that they can't see each other and neither in the spawning tank itself......

Being in Oklahoma you should have lots of mosquito larva and these are great to get the breeders in condition......nets some, give them a rinse and mass feed.......... and your breeders will be ready and willing to spawn in no time.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #4 
Landon21
Banned

Cool thanks, for the replies. Sadly (lol) the mosquitos arent out yet, there hasnt been any rain. My bettas dont seem stressed, they rarley even stare at eachother and flare but every now and then they do... You think i should block their view?
Landon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I am about 20 miles East of you and I have tons of mosquito larva....lol......I have been gathering them for about a month already...true enough we haven't got any rain since Feb......a tiny bit yesterday.......but you can fill some buckets up with water and let nature take over....lol......when a fish is given/fed food that are more closely to their natural diet it is amazing how fast you can get them to spawn...not to mention the over all health in both the breeders and eggs/fry you will see....the proper food can really stimulate them to breed-in nature lots of good food triggers reproduction.....

By keeping the breeders so that they can't see each other during the conditioning period can often help the over all breeding process I have found....and since they are not flaring at each other this can sometimes cause spawning problems....I would move them or card them so that they can't see each other and once a day remove the card to let them see each other for a few minutes...this can sometimes help get them excited about breeding........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote