Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #1 
mastertwitchy

First time ever owning fish...

Hello All,

So, for my birthday a little late gift for myself. I went out and bought myself a Crowntail Betta Male. I got him a 1 gallon betta bowl and currently is sitting out on my desk. I noticed that numerous people have suggested a 5 gallon tank. I have a buddy of mine that has a 5 or 10 gallon tank he'll give to me however being a first time owner of a fish and a betta I wanted to get some input from you guys.

1. I noticed that he was only to be fed 3-4 times a week sparingly and to change water once a week. I plan on doing this daily possibly and changing water every 3 days. Is this a good idea?

2. The room I live in mostly has light all day, from a small light fixture, not sunlight, is this going to be okay?

3. I wanted help with selecting plants he would enjoy and be happy about along with gravel.

4. Why types of food would he prefer the most and where can I acquire, currently using betta food from wal mart but want to ensure is taken care of properly.

5. Anything else I've missed please elaborate and direct me lol

Sincerely,

Mastertwitchy
mastertwitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #2 
gbose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertwitchy View Post
Hello All,

So, for my birthday a little late gift for myself. I went out and bought myself a Crowntail Betta Male. I got him a 1 gallon betta bowl and currently is sitting out on my desk. I noticed that numerous people have suggested a 5 gallon tank. I have a buddy of mine that has a 5 or 10 gallon tank he'll give to me however being a first time owner of a fish and a betta I wanted to get some input from you guys.

1. I noticed that he was only to be fed 3-4 times a week sparingly and to change water once a week. I plan on doing this daily possibly and changing water every 3 days. Is this a good idea?

2. The room I live in mostly has light all day, from a small light fixture, not sunlight, is this going to be okay?

3. I wanted help with selecting plants he would enjoy and be happy about along with gravel.

4. Why types of food would he prefer the most and where can I acquire, currently using betta food from wal mart but want to ensure is taken care of properly.

5. Anything else I've missed please elaborate and direct me lol

Sincerely,

Mastertwitchy
MasterT,

You're off to a great start. Congratulations on doing all that research!

I suggest:

1) Yes a larger tank is a really good idea; 1G is really small. I have a 3G for my betta and he seems happy. Some people suggest as much as 5G; not sure if that's really needed. But if you have the space and budget, always go for a larger tank. (be careful if you decide to put in other fish to keep him company. Some are more compatible than others).

2) Get a heater -- 78-80F is good, and a filter. No space in a 1G, but if you're upgrading, these will make a huge difference.

3) Would suggest feeding at most 6 times a week. Most fish-keepers suggest one day of fasting per week. Regarding types of food, you''ll have to experiment a bit and see what he likes. Many people recommend Hikari Betta pellets; I tried pellets, but he can't swallow them (he's a little guy), so I've been feeding him just regular flakes, and it seems fine.

4) Absolutely change water every day or two until your tank cycles. (If you're not aware of the nitrogen cycle, please do read up on it. It's why I lost 2 bettas...) After that, with a 1G, 2-3 times a week is needed. If you get a larger tank, once a week is fine.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #3 
mastertwitchy

Hey,

Thank you. I plan on possibly getting him a friend or two but not right now. I definitely want to make him happy as possible and near climate he's used to. I found him at wal-mart and combating his little cup, which told me he's a keeper. So Far, He's fairing well. I'm at work so I can't go out and buy the necessary items, but I plan on going to wal-mart and seeing what they have in regards to a plant and cleaner. He seems okay with his current tank but I already can tell the limited space has got to him. This is a big learning experience for me but I plan on doing what I can for him. I read up on the first time caring post sticky was quite helpful. I think the 5g should be good and plan on creating a nice home for him.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #4 
mastertwitchy

Update:

So I'm getting the 10g tank. just gotta get the plants and heater. :D
Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbose View Post
MasterT,

You're off to a great start. Congratulations on doing all that research!

I suggest:

1) Yes a larger tank is a really good idea; 1G is really small. I have a 3G for my betta and he seems happy. Some people suggest as much as 5G; not sure if that's really needed. But if you have the space and budget, always go for a larger tank. (be careful if you decide to put in other fish to keep him company. Some are more compatible than others).

2) Get a heater -- 78-80F is good, and a filter. No space in a 1G, but if you're upgrading, these will make a huge difference.

3) Would suggest feeding at most 6 times a week. Most fish-keepers suggest one day of fasting per week. Regarding types of food, you''ll have to experiment a bit and see what he likes. Many people recommend Hikari Betta pellets; I tried pellets, but he can't swallow them (he's a little guy), so I've been feeding him just regular flakes, and it seems fine.

4) Absolutely change water every day or two until your tank cycles. (If you're not aware of the nitrogen cycle, please do read up on it. It's why I lost 2 bettas...) After that, with a 1G, 2-3 times a week is needed. If you get a larger tank, once a week is fine.

Good luck!

GB
Do not get Hikari. They have very low quality protein and too much wheat product. Get a high quality brand like Omega One or New Life Spectrum.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #6 
mastertwitchy

I'm sticking with the betta flakes I have now until I run out and then will look into another food source
Old 04-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #7 
turtle10

Okay, it would be a waste to switch now anyways lol.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #8 
mastertwitchy

So...

My friend and I decided on him giving me the 5g for now. He gave me his heater, his cleaner stuff and a couple plants and a cave like toy. I went ahead and got him a PH balancer and dechlorinated the water. I also got him some gravel and some before and after of before what his bowl was and now. he looks much happier.

I went ahead and ensured the PH and all tests were within specs before putting him in and so far, he's much more energetic and happy. I'm gonna give him a few hours and then see about a possible feeding time.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2011, 02:46 AM   #9 
mastertwitchy

and the water is much cleaner now, had to let the filter run through for about an hour and then was good to go. fish is extremely happy.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #10 
phoenix91

Glad you went with the 5g, i have my little girl in a 5 g and she is so happy. it seems like your right no track.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote