Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #1 
bettafish15

Question Is it possible? Could I? :D

So I'm getting a new betta fish next week (friday) when we go to the city, and I've got a few questions about live plants that I reeaaaallyyyy want to get.

1. Apparently, my lightbulbs (I have two spiral flourescent ones) are 15W each, 50Hz-60Hz. So thats 30 watts total for a 14g tank.

2. What are easy plants that are fast growing, or just any plants in general? I know about java fern and moss, but what else could fit my lighting? What plants do you guys have in low lighting?

3. Are there any online plant websites (in case they dont have them in Petland) that ship to Canada? Or just websites in general so I can check for myself?

Thanks so much :D I already have a heater and filter for my tank (my filter is some funky one built ON the tank, at the top, so I should get some filter media for it...) leftover from Finny who sadly passed a long time ago. I plan on getting more decos than I had before too. I'll also stock up on water conditioner and food too. Anything I'm forgetting? Questions, comments? :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #2 
Twilight Storm

I was looking into easy-to-care-for plants and came across this site:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...lies.cfm?c=768

I looked at their shipping page briefly I am not sure if they would ship to you but they have a few ways to contact them. They have a lot of info on each plant they sell and how hard it is to care for.

I don't have live plants but I am in the process of researching to make a small 10 gallon ADA aquarium.

* The foster and smith website has a SUPER acclimation article in it.

This page shows a lot of plants and a little about them as well:

http://www.aquapage.eu/Plants.php?hl...detail=129#129

Found this site too that has a lot of info:

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Aqua...nts/eplant.php

Not sure how much that helps you, but they might let you research a bit easier. Some plants need co2 and fertalizer and I am not sure yet if they would hurt bettas. (I haven't found the info on that yet!)

Good luck though!

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 04-24-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: added info
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #3 
ireland

CO2 doesn't hurt bettas, it has the same affect to betta as any other fish, it either kills them if CO2 is too high or if you get the CO2 at the right level or too low your betta would be okay. Your lighting is good, I have the exact same lights, but idk what your light's Kelvin is, it should say it on either the bulb or the box where the bulb came from. What I have is two 15watts 5500k spiral light bulbs. The Kelvin itself doesn't really matter as long as its in the 2500k-10000k, well it does if you want the best of best growth, but even then the difference in growth rate is too small to tell the difference. Its comes down to a matter of preference as each kelvin gives off a different color.

As for plants i wrote in another post about it with a picture of my betta's tank.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=68741

Hope I helped.
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Thanks for the input guys :) My lights dont day the kelvin rating on them, they came with the tank, and the tank isnt even a brand name, theres no name on it at all @.@ I've never seen one like it. I wish I knew the kelvin rating. Thank you for those websites Twilight Storm :D
Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #5 
ireland

And if you cant find any place that sells plants or websites that ships to Canada, you can go join the forum Plantedtank.net and go under the Swap and Shop category, I'm pretty positive i saw some Canada post on there. What it is, is just people from that forum selling there extra plants to other aquarist, its usually cheaper than buying from big chain stores, but there is a downside to it, its not guarantee because the website cannot regulate the sells. It just done in good faith.

Another website you can check is Aquabid on the plant section.
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Anubias would very much enjoy your tank, though dont let it get too close to the light, or it will turn a light light green or turn transparent. They grow slowly, but theyre wonderful- I think no tank should be without.. :B
If your gravel is at least 3 inches in depth, try amazon swords/crypts (they like fine gravel), theyd have a field day in your tank! These can get BIG and do so fairly fast.
Again, if your substrate is gravel or sand, maybe consider trying dwarf hairgrass. Its cute when it gets used to the tank.

Anacharis is like a rabbit, it has 39825713094875 billion new sprouts. Gotta love this stuff, eh?

Various forms of Sagittarius will fare well but dont grow too fast, and depending on what you get, (like the "dwarf" verities), they grow quick via runners and will grow like a carpet. I'd looooveee these!

If youre willing to drop a chunk of change, echinodorus is a sexay new plant that looks really nice..I havent looked into it too much, but its attractive and likes light, which you have a good bit of.

To be honest, Id stay away from Co2, if you can avoid it. There are lots of plants that can live without it and do very well, and pft, who wants the extra cost? (Well, except for ireland, you keep that up. Thats purdy!) Also, if not monitored and done correctly, co2 can build up on the surface, killing the fish because it breathes in over head air.

And sorry that was in bold.. I cant get it out of bold for some reason. Stupid thing D:<

PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #7 
bettafish15

I really want to get some anubias for sure :D I don't plan using CO2, ever. It's too complicated for me, and some new people overload on it and kill their fish D: I just want to sink money into something that I dont really need/want. Plants can grow fine without it. (The ones I want anyway) so yeah :P hehe. I wont worry about anubias getting too close to the light, the back of my tank is pretty dark because of the built-in filter thats above the water there. :D I'm excited for sure!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Great, I hope things work out for you!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #9 
bettafish15

Thank you! I can't wait to pick out a betta myself this time :3 Also, how should I plant anubias, like do I put the ends in the substrate, do I have to tie it to somelike like java fern, ect. :D
Old 04-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

Def. tie to something, because if the rhizome is buried, it will die. Instead, tether to something like driftwood or a rock using string or fishing twine. It'd work well and eventually would cling to it :D If you dont want to tether, consider buying some plastic mesh, tying it down, and burying the *mesh, and not the rhizome. Ive done that :B Same for the fern, for the same reason.