Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #1 
CyerRyn

My Visit to the Fish Store

Today I decided to stop in at the downtown fish/supply store. Since I'm buying a 10gal tank from a friend soon I wanted to see what my options were in terms of filters/heaters/gravel and whatever else I thought I'd need. I don't know what all comes with the tank I'm buying I won't find out until she stops by, so I kept my mind open about everything. This store is more expensive than most so I will probably do my shopping online, but I got an idea of what I'll need. Anyway, while I was there I couldn't help but notice the 3 little bowls on the shelf with (OMG) cute!!!! Betta's. They were VT's (she said they usually only have those in) and I had to fight, literally fight the impulse to buy this little guy that was white/grey with BIG pouty lips. I never really realized until that moment how much of a Betta lover I turned into. I only own one but I cant WAIT to get more!

Now I have one little question for everyone. I live about 2 miles from the fish store and I walk everywhere (gas being $4/gal heh my feet=free), do you think if I bought a Betta from this store and walked it home would he be able to handle the bouncing around in the bag? I mean I'd try to walk as smooth as possible but I'm not perfect. :P
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #2 
RiverStoneBetta

I don't think it would be a major problem. Most fish are shoved into little plastic bags and then shipped by planes and trucks in the dark. Keep it smooth and go straight home. Make sure that the weather is cooperative, and you'll be fine.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #3 
Tisia

I'd say maybe cover up the bag a bit so it's dark to help keep him calm, and hold it against you if it's cold out, I'd probably kind of tuck it between you and your jacket if you're wearing one
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

He should be just fine. Two miles isn't that big of a walk and trust me my parents and I walk that much every summer it seems. (I once walked five miles during a trip to Wisconsin Dells in the rain...Fun yes cold...Hell yes.) If it's chilly out bring some sort of cloth to wrap around the bag and walk evenly if you have to hold him against you with both arms. Plus if they can survive the glass bowls (which are more so glorified cups) then they should be okay.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #5 
Neil D

bring a brown paper bag along, to put the bag into. Although must fish stores do this anyway...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #6 
gmd1800

What about biking? You could put a little basket (haha, I know) in front and stuff it with newspaper or something to reduce jostling. It'd be faster too. I hate walking and feeling my fish bumping into the sides of the cup.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #7 
CyerRyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1800 View Post
What about biking? You could put a little basket (haha, I know) in front and stuff it with newspaper or something to reduce jostling. It'd be faster too. I hate walking and feeling my fish bumping into the sides of the cup.
I don't own a bike, only roller blades D= which would probably be worse than walking. Haha
Old 04-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #8 
Neil D

Just walk, saves you the trouble. ;he should be fine. Just be cautious, or just drive, all together 4 mi. Worth it for ur little friend right?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #9 
CyerRyn

Well right now it would be too cold and windy to even try to take a Betta home. It's 46F out. I'd drive if I had a car. :P I'm glad I haven't gotten the tank yet or I'd have a bigger impulse to go and buy another little fishy friend. I'm hoping I get the tank sometime next week when it warms a little more or when I can at least find a ride. :P
Old 04-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #10 
Neil D

LOL. Ask a friend/neighbor to drive u.