Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #1 
Marona

When is Cottonmouth too late?

Once it becomes fuzz on the mouth?
I don't want to make my betta suffer anymore then he has to. If it's too late I want to put him down.

I can give more info, it's just easier if I can get an idea of what's too late to treat since it's all internal. He seems pretty far gone. Floats vertically, fluff is gone but lips are still white. Is gasping through gills. He's in a small bowl right now since it's hard for him to do much.
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #2 
vaygirl

We just had someone who went through this. I think the consensus was that it was too late. From your description it sounds very much like he's on his way out. :( I'm sorry.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #3 
Marona

Is it because cotton mouth is mostly internal? I just hate giving up. He's such a beautiful fish. This hit so fast. He only acted lethargic two days ago. Ugh. Went so fast he hadn't even lost color.

Edit: I guess I'll just try to find the thread.

Last edited by Marona; 04-24-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #4 
vaygirl

His fish's lips had started deteriorating. If you don't wanna give up, then don't! I'm only giving you my opinion. You have to decide what to do for him. I'll see if I can find the thread...
Old 04-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I can't find it. You can start treatment if you think it will help. Columnaris is usually pretty fast acting, so do it as soon as you can. I've read that Furan Two and Kanamycin are good for treatment. Also Triple Sulfa by API.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #6 
Marona

Oh no I know you're only giving your opinion. :) I just am not sure what to do. I don't want to have him rot away from not being able to eat is all. But I guess I can just try to treat it for now and if he won't eat when he starts getting better because his lips are too far gone, or he just doesn't get more active I can make the decision then. I just don't want to prolong the suffering is all. I know I wouldn't want someone to do that to me.

I've been treating him with kanaplex. The fuzz is gone, and it's just white lips now. I'll take a picture when I get home. No point in me doing a whole rundown of tank or anything. I was stupid and put him in my work in progress community tank. I didn't think when he started acting lethargic, thought he was being shy. I guess he's one of those fish that doesn't do well in big tanks. :( Patience is a virtue I guess.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #7 
vaygirl

I hope he makes it. I had great success with Kanaplex when Tango was sick with a bad bacterial infection. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. :)

I did read that it seems to like temps of 80 or higher, so if you can lower the temp to 78 that may help.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #8 
Marona

Well I have issues heating the bowl he's in, and I'm scared to put him back in his old tank because I moved fish around and I don't want him to basically poison that tank. If I'm making any sense. I'm trying to figure out some way to heat it. It's odd that the cotton mouth was even in my community tank because I don't have a heater for it yet. (The one that came with it is for way too big of a tank! Ugh, craigslist.)
Old 04-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #9 
vaygirl

You could float a container in the tank with him in it. Like a tupperware container or such, and treat him there? That might make it complicated with the dosage though. If the fuzziness went away, that might be a good sign. I'd just keep doing what you're doing.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #10 
Marona

I'm ok with dosage. I just use a very small amount. Hmmm. I have a lot of betta cups laying around. I might stop by petsmart today and get the right heater for my 29 gallon and float him in that. I just don't usually float them in these 'cause the temp wasn't high enough and they usually find a way to freaking jump out. But in his shape he probably won't. Since I qt'd one of my small starter fish. He has some sort of particle around his gills and I bet it's related to columnaris. >:( God I don't want to start over with this tank, but at least I got cheap starter fish.