Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #1 
n3wport

Unhappy Fish acting strangley, stop medicine?

Okay, I posted a thread a few days ago thinking my fish had ICH/ICK etc.
So I talked to alot of workers at the aqurium super store near my house. (they have a 10ft shark in a huge tank in the middle of the store its cool)

Okay anyways, my fish never used to hide in his little cave this much. He hides against the wall and gravel of it, and comes up here and there to get air. He is uninterested in food.

The medicine packets are actually for ten gallons, so I empty half of one at a time since my fish is in a 5 gallon
medicine is: API: Pro series t.c. tetracycline
I used API aquarium salt also, api betta water conditioner (I always use that though)
When I do water changes, I take fishie out and use my gravel vacuum thing until 25-50% of water is gone, then fill it back up and put water conditioner in there.
x Day one: 50% water change, removed carbon filter, tablespoon of salt, half of packet
x Day two: empited the rest of packet
x Day three: opened new packet, emptied half. 25% water change, pinch of salt
- Day four (today): I have yet to empty the packet just yet.
- Day five: 25% water change, add new fresh carbon filter

His tank has slowly been getting warmer up to 81% to help with anything, idk what Im talking about honestly the aquarium people told me to.

Do you think I should just skip the last day, put in a filter cartridge? He got his tank cleaned yesterday. I just feel like him hiding is from the medicine in his tank?
He hasnt darted or rubbed against anything.
This morning he was swimming around for a bit, but then went back in his cave. Is it too hott for him in there?
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Typically it is best to finish treatments, especially with parasites. By skipping the last treatment you might allow some ich parasites to survive and propagate and you will have to repeat the entire treatment.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 AM   #3 
Harley

Well it sounds like we still don't have a 100% diagnosis of the problem. I would keep the salt going (as per package directions, max 10 days), the temp at 80F (you said 81%, typo I assume). If he's getting more water changes than usual, it might be stress that's causing him to hide out. I wouldn't do the carbon filter with the medication. As mentioned it will nix it and do him no good.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I'm not sure that's the right medicine for ich. Ich is a parasite. Tetracycline is an antibiotic for treating infections, not parasites.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote