Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2011, 02:43 AM   #1 
mandleighb

Angry OMG! So mad!!

SO, I've never owned an African Dwarf Frog before, so I had no idea what they ate. I got one originally to put in my fifteen gallon tank with my mollies, but ended up putting him in my 2.5 gallon with one of my bettas because the mollies are evil and were trying to eat him.
It's been about a week since I got him, and I've been wondering why he wasn't eating the algae pellets that the lady at the petstore told me African Dwarf Frogs eat. I just started doing some research on what I could possibly feed him as an alternative. After doing my research, NONE of the websites even listed algae pellets as an option! They need live food. UGH! Remind me never to listen to a pet store employee again...
Anyways, I just needed to vent! What's the dumbest thing a pet store employee has ever told you? And what have you had success in feeding your ADF? Since I clearly have no idea, it'd be nice to have some input from people who actually know what they're talking about!

I posted this in the compatability thread since the ADF is housed with the betta, wasn't sure exactly where else to post it :)

Last edited by mandleighb; 04-24-2011 at 02:53 AM.
mandleighb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

I feed my ADF freeze dried blood worms and HBH Frog and Tadpole bites. I got them at my LFS, and Jackie loves them. X3
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

I had one moron claim I had reserved a filter instead of a heater...Other then that? Wal-Mart employee's claiming they only need once a week waterchanges. I think if it wasn't for me throwing a huge fit to the managers that Maka wouldn't have survived the week she did in that cup.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #4 
naturegirl243

You know the freezer in the back corrner of the fish section in our petco? In that freezer is frozen foods for fish.I belive they have frog food in there and I know they have frozen bloodworms.If you stop by my house I have some frozen bloodworms I can give you.They come in like little frozen cubes.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #5 
mandleighb

I ended up getting freeze dried blood worms... except they came in cubed form which I didn't notice (It didn't say so in the container and the container wasn't see through). I've read that the cubed form can be bad for fish. Anyone have any experience with that? Both Mr. Fishy and Herbert haven't even given them a second look, but I've heard ADF's don't usually eat when they're being watched... so hopefully that's what it is! I just want both of them to eat!! Mr. Fishy usually just chews on his pellets and then spits them back out so I was hoping he'd make a dive for the freeze dried blood worms, but he hasn't.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who pet store workers are stupid to!

I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy the actual frozen kind... boooo! My mother doesn't want them in the freezer... hehehe
Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #6 
turtle10

Freeze dried foods should only be fed as a treat, they are pretty low in nutritional value.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #7 
baylee767

Hmm, do you mean freeze dried or frozen? Frozen's the ones that usually come in little cubes and, well, you freeze them.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #8 
nowzem

Pretty much any frozen food for fish is great for ADF...they pretty much don't eat anything but frozen and live foods. I always had great luck with frozen bloodworms. Always ask what the pet store is feeding and ask to see them eat!

Dumbest thing...other than bettas can live in cups...that they (Petsmart)only do 2x a week water changes on those filthy cups, and that once I get mine home I don't have to do as many water changes (um, hello! She didn't have a clue about my tank set up!) Luckily I am an experience fish owner, but imagine all the people who are misled! Rar!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #9 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowzem View Post
Dumbest thing...other than bettas can live in cups...that they (Petsmart)only do 2x a week water changes on those filthy cups, and that once I get mine home I don't have to do as many water changes (um, hello! She didn't have a clue about my tank set up!) Luckily I am an experience fish owner, but imagine all the people who are misled! Rar!
Hence why I did my research when my dad got the idea. I researched for nearly two weeks before even looking at tanks.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:42 AM   #10 
mandleighb

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Hmm, do you mean freeze dried or frozen? Frozen's the ones that usually come in little cubes and, well, you freeze them.
Freeze dried :) They come in a container and they were in cubed form inside the container. It makes an awful mess of the tank. May just have to get the frozen kind, though I'm not even sure he'll come up for those. He seems to be extremely lazy about searching for his food.