Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #1 
dinahkay

Still not doing well after 4 days...

Please see original thread here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=67996

I just got back in town since Friday. When I left I did a100% water change and added two teaspoons of aquarium salt. I checked the ph and it was 7.6. I added s tiny amount of ph down since I didn't want too stress him more and added a little Stress Zyme. He doesn't look any better and still isn't eating. I tried some frozen bloodworms and he won't eat that. When I first got home he tried to eat the pellet twice but spit it out. Any suggestions?

Here is a current picture...(out of his tank while I change his water again)
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...y/IMAG0091.jpg
dinahkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #2 
Twilight Storm

Take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm a newbie with fish but have read a ton of junk on the internet.

If the coral is real in your tank (but dead), stuff I have read says it will raise the PH and the hardness in your freshwater tank eventually. Other then that, I have no idea on his eating problem. He is a very pretty betta :) I hope someone here can help you, help him get better asap!

I think you can google "dead coral in a freshwater tank"

Added in edit:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....rot#post621103

Above link is something I came across here. but like I said I am not sure it has anything to do with your problem :(

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 04-18-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added link to KH thread
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #3 
dinahkay

Hmmm I am honestly not sure if it its real. I can double check when I go to petco next. It has been in his tank since I got him, and he was fine for weeks until now.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #4 
dinahkay

Also to add he looks like he might be loosing some color, but I am not 100% since his color changes a lot due to the light and his swimming.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #5 
roadrunner

I think your new 5gal is not cycled. You should cycle your tank first and then do 25-50% water changes once a week. You could get saechem stability to help you with new set up. I wouldn't play with PH too much either, you can cause more harm. Also don't use salt for long time, it is good only for short term treatments. If you have any decoration that is not meant for freshwater tank and there is a possibility that it can change you water (chemically), it's probably safer to take it out. I only add water conditioner and make sure water temp is close to the temp in the tank when I do water changes.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #6 
dinahkay

Well, I took out the rock/possible coral decoration, and did another 100% water change with Ozarka water, treated with betta water conditioner. That did bring the ammonia levels down since it seemed I have 1.0 ammonia levels out of the tap. It also brought the ph level down as well. I also added two teaspoons of aquarium salt again to help him breathe. My local store did not carry Saechem, but I bought a similar product and added that. Everytime I go in to check on him he looks like he is dead (laying at the bottom of the tank on his side or laying on his plant on his side.) He really looks awful, but at this point I don't know what else to do. Sadly at this point I just want his suffering to end quickly since he looks awful. All his fins look clamped, it is very sad.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #7 
roadrunner

If you tank gets cycled, your "good bacteria" changes ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. It is still bad for fish but not as bad and if you have some live plants, they use nitrate to grow. Once your aquarium is cycled, do not change 100% water, or you destroy your good bacteria. Do only small water changes. Also do not clean your filter with tap water. Instead give it a quick rinse once in a while with water you just removed from the tank. Once you're done with cycling, it should be much easier for you and your fish. It's just constant chemical changes in your water that are probably causing this. I would still stay away from the use of salt for longer period of time.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #8 
dinahkay

Thanks. I actually did about a 90% water change since I just scoped it out. But I did that since my water out of the trap was already at 1.0 straight out if the tap, so the our of town fish store suggested I use a bottle water and then bring my water to them for testing. He still doesn't look good, just laying st the bottom on his side :(
Old 04-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #9 
roadrunner

I'm sorry to hear that. I know you are trying best you can to save your fish. Unfortunately your situation is more complicated since you don't have good quality of water. I know some people also collect rain water for bettas. I'm not sure is that for fish, I've never done it myself. As I mentioned earlier, you could try to get some plants for your cycled tank and monitor nitrate levels.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #10 
Harley

IMO you need to get your betta out of your aquarium and into a bowl (or another cycled aquarium) if you're not sure the aquarium is cycled. In the bowl do 100% daily changes. The betta needs clean water to help get better. Uncycled tanks are potentialy toxic (I'm learning this the hard way). Use the bowl and setup your aquarium to cycle. It takes a long time but at least in the bowl or whatever the betta will have clean water. Just my opinion, lots of luck.

See:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 for more info more info.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote