Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #1 
kathstew

My New Sorority (WIP & pic overload)

My birthday is next week, April 30th, and my parents bought me my present early (my dad might have to be away on it for a business trip). Soooooo, I got a ten gallon tank, which is going to be holding my very first sorority! :D

My betta sorority will include... (drumroll please!)
Drama Queen (this is an old pic, she is currently in a 5.5 divided)

&
Ocean (this is an old pic, she's currently in a 5.5 divided)

And three other girls who I haven't picked out yet ;D and will hopefully be getting tomorrow!!!

She was supposed to be in the sorority, until I realized she was a MALE plakat, when I saw him flare at my other male fish, Spazz:
(maybe named Chuckie sue, an inside joke between my family)

Annndddd here is the set-up! I will be adding another hidey hole, probably a terra cotta pot. Do you think the set-up is OK?

kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

It looks VERY nice! I'd make sure when getting your females to check that each has a prominent egg spot. That's not ALWAYS a sure fire way to tell if it's a female, but it helps!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #3 
kathstew

Thanks Sweeda! I appreciate it! When I first got the new "girl" she had an egg spot and was very small, obviously a young juvie male now. :$ He's pretty cute though, and he's quite enjoying his one gallon until he is upgraded to the 5.5 my girls were in.

I will post updates once I get my new girls hopefully tomorrow (if petsmart has new bettas in!)
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Your current set-up looks good , but I would probably add in a couple of floating plastic plants. My group of coccinas (nowhere near as aggressive as betta splendens) like to ambush each other sometimes when one is going up to breathe. I found having something floating at the surface breaks up the line of sight and gives the more submissive bettas somewhere to hide.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #5 
kathstew

Thanks LittleBettaFish! That is really helpful! I appreciate it. I am sure my little Drama Queen will try something like that, LOL!
OK - need floating plants.
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah. I love when bettas get that look in their eye and you just know someone is going to get chomped on. Then when you intervene, they swim off like they weren't doing anything.

I love looking at everyone's sororities. I want to have one of my own someday, but for now, I think I have reached maximum fish capacity
Old 04-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #7 
kathstew

Haha, yep. my girls get that look, and their in a divided tank LOL. Hopefully everything turns out ok though. :)

Haha, looking at everyone else's is why I decided to get one! :P I can't tell how many bettas of each gender you have, but you don't have enough to turn them into a sorority?

According to my mom, I reach maximum fish capacity when I hit two XD
Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

My mum told me I could only have 1 fish when I first got into bettas, now she talks about setting up a fish room with an inbuilt sink and reinforced floor when we finally get around to renovating . It helps I work full-time too so I pay for all their costs as well as $50.00 a week for electricity/water.

I only have 5 females, but since they all are over a year old and have lived in separate tanks, I didn't want to have them tear into each other. If I set-up a sorority in the future I'll probably use young spawn-sisters, just to make it easier on my poor nerves.

For now I will just content myself with setting up my wild betta groups. So much less stressful haha.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #9 
kathstew

The sorority is all set-up! My Drama Queen got quite beat-up, she just wouldn't give in to the others! They've all stopped fightng now. They even seem like they are starting to become friends. I even saw Drama Queen and one of new girls sleeping beside eachother. It was soo cute!
Heres some pictures:
This is a new girl, I'm thinking of naming her Butterfly. I don't know why, but she reminds me of a butterfly.

This is Ocean:

This is a new girl, who is currently being called "Little Red". Her fins actually look a lot redder in person.

This is another new girl, I might name her "Faith". She reminds me of another member's (I can't remember whose) betta named Faye.

This is Drama Queen. Sorry for the bad picture >.< She wouldn't sit still, and the glass kept reflecting. She got pretty beat-up. She looks like a crowntail in this picture, but she is actually a veiltail.

They are all really cute, and I am so glad I got the tank for my birthday!!!!!