Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #1 
lunawatsername

Exclamation is it ok to put things in a tank that wernt made for fish?

so i have some concerns about putting things in my tanks that wernt made for a tank. like right now, i was considering putting a shot glass in each of my bettas tanks, i think that my smaller betta especially would really like it as a little hiding place. the glasses are all solid glass and, as long as i have owned them, have never been washed with soap, but only rinsed off with hot water as they are ones i use just for decoration. so if i washed them thoroughly with hot water only, do you think it would be ok to put them in the tanks? also, i bought some really pretty gemstone things at the dollar store, so same goes for them... are they safe? i just dont want to put them in their and find out they were treated with some toxic chemical that kills my fish or something terrible like that :/
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I wouldnt put the gems in. The shot glasses seem alright though.

As a general rule, leave things out of tanks that are not made of pure glass, that arent made to be fully submersed in water, or things that are not of quality manufacture (dollar store stuff, usually).

If its non-toxic, pet/baby safe or food safe, it can usually go in...but theres always a risk because its not made to always be in water.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #3 
Pekemom

My sense is that since both those items are glass, Luna, they would be okay. Cleaned with hot water, of course. There is nothing that can leach into the water (dye, paint, anything that could shred or the fish could get caught in) so have fun and decorate away!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #4 
lunawatsername

thank you! yes, the gems are made of glass too, my main concern from them was actually that i got them at the dollar store lol. i think ill see if i can find some kind of manufacturer from them and look them up online, maybe that will give me a hint if they make non toxic products? either way, thanks for your opinions you guys! :D
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

I have "gems" in some of my tanks that I purchased at Dollar General. Rinsed them with straight hot water & put them in a few months ago - no problems. :)

And, yes, I would think the shot glasses would be just fine.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

It should be fine. I used a little glass jar that had olives in it at one time..I used it to plant a plant in my kritter keeper. I just rinsed it out with hot water and a little vinegar (making sure all the vinegar got washed off) and it is fine.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #7 
CyerRyn

:P I use a shot glass in my quarantine tank for lack of having plants or a small enough cave to fit in it. Works perfectly cept for my bigger boys.. I use mugs. I've thrown in a sea shell here and there.. but I remember reading that too many of them leaks too much of something into the water that's bad for Betta's.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #8 
bamsuddenimpact

ive used those mini terracotta pots from the dollar store 3/1$ and my boys love them and havent had any adverse effects since purchase.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote