Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #1 
Burd

Return from Easter weekend... BIG sad face :(

If you know me and/or my fishies Ruto and Jabu-Jabu, you know they share a 10 gallon tank separated into 5 gallon halves. Ruto is my lil girl who I've been trying to perk up since bringing her home from the pet store and Jabu-Jabu is my obviously very feisty male.

My fiance and I went to his family for easter weekend. Upon returning home this evening I found Jabu-Jabu and Ruto in the same half. Jabu was swimming around blowing bubbles and Ruto was hiding in the cave. She must've jumped the separator in the VERY back of the tank where the hood is open, which was a lucky or skilled jump for her. O_O

Both of them had very torn up fins and Ruto's colors were very pale. I rushed to get her into her own space and they both seem to be okay... I hope they will be okay from all this. D:

I can't tell if there's any baby betta fish yet... I really hope not. That would be unfortunate.

Any suggestions on how to make sure they'll be alright?
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #2 
Harley

Somebody doesn't like their neighbor Can they see each other through the dividers? If they can and it doesn't bother them, I would just worry about the fin damage. Ruto might just be pale from stress, wait a day or too. I would try some aquatic salt for the fins. Good luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #3 
Burd

Both of them, despite their fin damage, seem to be alright. They happily munched a bloodworm treat.

If they can see each other, it's minute at best. It's a mesh divider. They'd be seeing through super tiny holes or perhaps just each other's shadow. I'm going to see about getting a completely opaque divider today. I don't want my babies' getting into any more fights. D: Jabu-Jabu's tail was split in half and poor Ruto looks like she got tossed into a shredder..
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #4 
SmokeNLark

I'm sorry that happened. :(

If you're scared there's babies, I'd destroy the nest. It'll be better than unsuccessfully trying to raise them.

I hope they get better. Clean warm water and some aq salt should fix them up. :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #5 
CyerRyn

:( Aww I hope they both feel better soon.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #6 
Bunanza

Thats horrible! Ive always been catious in whether to put 2 betta in 1 tank. Try getting a better seperator
Bunanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunanza View Post
Thats horrible! Ive always been catious in whether to put 2 betta in 1 tank. Try getting a better seperator
That's exactly what I went out and did today, at least in terms of making it more stable. I can't make it bigger but I can ductape the hole in the back of the hood.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Take care to keep the tank under 78' (76-77'), keep it clean and dark while those fins heal..

Add in at least 1tsp/gallon of AQ salt to ward off infection, seeing as how she looks like she was shredded. 2-3tsp/gallon should be implemented if/when you begin to see fuzzy fins.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Why under 78?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

76-77' range discourages bacterial growth while still being comfortable enough for a betta to live comfortably in :) Heh, if they could live in it, youd be well off knocking it down as low as you could go, but keeping them comfy is just as important while trying to get them better.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote