Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #1 
Marona

Missing an eye.

Oh dear. Well I just got three new females yesterday that I'm slowly acclimating as they're petsmart fish and I want to make sure they're healthy enough to start my sorrority.

Well I see now how I missed it, she's very protective of it and any light that hits the missing eye she instantly moves to where she can see with her right eye. Her face is a little sunken in on that side and she bumps into the side of the cup a lot.

Should I return her and let nature take it's course? I hate to say it but at this point in my life, 3 bucks is 3 bucks. Or does this fish have the possibility to live a happy life as of yet?

No idea if I can get pictures...She's so shy about her 'ugly' side. :(
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #2 
baylee767

No, don't take her back yet! She has a possibility to live a good, happy life.

Maybe she was born this way and she senses it's a weakness. Or maybe she has a bacterial infection... Depends... Being blind in one eye is nothing to die over, many members have blind/half blind Bettas on here (I might be included in that catagory) And they live great lives. Now, how well does your petsmart take care of your Bettas? Do you think it's hurting her? If you can get a good look, does the eye area look gross or clean? (gross as in infected and dirty) Pics would definatly help, but if you can't take them, you can't take them. BTW, if she's half blind she shouldn't be put in a sorority (but you probably figured that)
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #3 
bettafish15

She can life a perfectly healthy and happy life! Dont take her back to die just because of that D: Many bettas are fully blind and live well.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #4 
Marona

Let me take another look. I'll try on my phone. Poor thing is going to get a bright light to the face so I can get it as fast as possible. Brb~
Old 04-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #5 
Marona

Double post sorry.
And no. She refuses. Well not her fault. It's just so dark and my light causes glare. Plus the water is dirty because I can't just toss them in new water. I have a jug of dechlorinated tap that I've been using to slowly acclimate them. Speeding her's up a bit so I can get her out of that nastyness since she'll be a loner. (Ah well just means I need to buy 2 more females now. ;) )

But it uh. There's just like two brown spots on that side of her head. The eye looks shriveled up in her socket, though. Any infection is probably gone. I'm treating all of them with kanaplex, though. My yellow is bloated. And she better not have the dreaded you know what. (Refuse to say it. Knock on wood. :l) But no pineconing. And my blue showed a bit of sbd. Which I usually notice in smaller females for some reason. Might just be my luck, but they seem more prone.

EDIT: Oh and my petsmart usually sucks. I always see sick ones. My betta that just passed nearly died when I first brought him home. He had bad ammonia burns at the time I know now. The only good they do is they put a few lucky males in (compatible) community tanks and females into a sorrority. But this was recently.

Last edited by Marona; 04-25-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #6 
baylee767

Two brown spots... okay, maybe she has a bacterial infection (not neccessarily on her eye but those spots...)

Don't rush on the acclimating for the pics, but just watch for signs of discomfort....
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #7 
lalalaura

She can live a happy life! I had an Angelfish that was missing an eye when I was younger. Although he never swam upright (he swam on an angle it was so cute) he was happy and super healthy!

If they have lived their whole life with one eye then that's all they know. They can adjust to having one eye and will soon forget they ever had two. They figure it out and can thrive just as much as any other fish can.
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #8 
Harley

Just like people, losing an eye doesn't mean you're worthless or should die. She can still be happy and otherwise healthy.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Is there any way that you can house her in her own container?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #10 
Luimeril

being blind is nothing for a betta. i have an HMPK that is partly blind, and he gets along just fine. it'd be best, imo, to house her by herself, in something like a 2.5 gallon. the other fish may pick on her because of it(but i'm not 100% on that). that's nothing to take her back for, though.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote